Please sign in to post.

Paris in June 2024 - Louvre Private Tour Operator or Museum Operated?

We are a family of 3 (myself, husband and 16 year old daughter) visiting Paris early June 2024. We want to see all the usual sites and I know it will be a busy time (to say the least). I am planning to book tickets to everything as soon as they open up. I went to each site and noted the dates and am hoping my information is correct. For the Louvre is it better to book a tour through a private tour operator or do the tour through the Louvre. I see they offer tours on their website. We want to see all the highlights. Any thoughts or recommendations of private companies if that is recommended? My daughter is very "into" art and art history so someone knowledgeable telling us what we are seeing would be worthwhile. Any other advice on planning in advance of this Summer is also welcomed!

Posted by
10318 posts

You are looking at apples and oranges. Having done many Louvre tours over the years, the most recent being Les tresors de Notre Dame in October, I can tell you that you'll be in a group of 25 with headsets so you can hear the art historian (yes all Louvre guides are PhDs in art history). There will be places that you won't get a chance to really look at the work; they may skip something on your list. The tour is set and inflexible. In other words, if your daughter spots something and wants to discuss it, it's not possible. I have never taken a Louvre tour with an outside company, but they do have restrictions within the Louvre. Be sure to double-check the credentials of anyone leading a group tour.

A private tour for the three of you will give you the flexibility to see what you want, little treasures the guide knows about, you can have the tour built around your wishes, and you'll have the guide to yourselves. The price difference is exhorbitant, up to 10 times the price of a group tour. But this is your daughter's love, the chance for her to have an unforgettable experience in one of the world's greatest museums. Maybe she could earn or contribute$ to this special tour.
See Context Travel which has been known to specialize in art tours, Walks of Paris has some art historians who do tours, and Iris Amis is a certified guide who I have seen with families in the Louvre and on the Globe Trekker tv show (Iris's email: [email protected]). Context and Walks of Italy do group tours within the building. I have no information about their Louvre tours, the size, length, and fixed itinerary.

Posted by
3949 posts

We did the Paris Walks tour. There were only 6 of us and the guide asked what we were interested in seeing while we were waiting on line. They also do private tours. 2 hours 190€ or 2.5 for 220€. Don’t know if entrance fee is extra, but I would think it is.

Toursbylocals.com has private tours.

Does Rick mention one in his book? I ask because when we were in Madrid we hired Almaden’s Cros for a private tour of the Prado. We paid 60€ pp for 2 hours. We emailed her a few paintings we wanted to see and it was no problem. Her contact info was in his book.