Please sign in to post.

Paris in January

My wonderful husband is taking me to Paris for a week over my 50th birthday. This happens to be in late January 2020. I am looking for recommendations for winter in Paris, as much of the standard advice seems to be for spring/summer and gardens, parks, Giverny, etc. will not be at their best in the winter. I would love suggestions for day trips or even an overnight, too. Will the countryside be rather bleak that time of year? I am not really sure what to expect.

I have been to Paris once before, 25 years ago. My husband has never been. We will for sure see my favorite spot of all time, Ste. Chappelle in addition to some of the standard tourist fare. I am wondering if there are adjustments we should make taking time of year into account or some unique to winter sights to see? We are traveling without our kids so I am sure we will also enjoy being able to leisurely stroll art museums, linger over glasses on wine in the late afternoon in a cafe, etc. If anyone can recommend some interesting walking tours or something like that, we would love that as well.

Any suggestions for a special event or restaurant would be appreciated tool, thinking about how to spend my actual birthday. We are not super foodies, tend to prefer down-home type meals over fancy things. I am not 100% sure where we will be staying but most likely in a hotel in the 8th Arrondissement (gotta use those reward points!).

TIA for your advice and suggestions, it is much appreciated!

Posted by
814 posts

Hello charlat, I haven't been in Paris in January but I have been there over Christmas and New Years time.

The two biggest things to consider of course are daylight and temperature during January.
Sunrise will be around 8:35am and sunset around 5:15pm so you'll be dealing with much shorter days than in summer.
Temperature will be mid to high 40s for highs and high 30s for lows traditionally but every year is different. Snow is rare in Paris but it did snow last year.

As long as you're bundled up enough for that weather - depending on where you live this may be routine for you or even warm for January - you should be fine. Paris doesn't change hours of attractions as much as rural areas so museums and sites will probably have normal hours with the exception of those that use daylight hours. Even on Xmas many attractions and sites were open when I expected them to be closed. Places like the Luxembourg Gardens have fewer flowers and less greenery but are still pleasant to visit.

There are some many restaurants in Paris - these might be special depending on what you want and want to spend.
1) They've reopened restaurant Jules Verne on the Eiffel Tower's second level. Definitely expensive - slightly cheaper at lunch.
2) This is going to sound wacky but the restaurant in the Lyon Train station is beautiful. Finally got to see it but haven't eaten there https://www.le-train-bleu.com/en/ - also not cheap but maybe it appeals to you.
3) A super traditional French place is the 100 year old Bouillon Chartier https://www.bouillon-chartier.com/en/ which is actually very reasonably priced and you can't get much more French.

A river cruise and dinner is a Paris constant but in those temperatures I have to think it's not the best idea in January.

Paris is actually experiencing a backlash against expensive dining so I would search on-line and ask around in Paris. You can probably have several dinners out in newer places for the price of one traditional "famous" Parisian restaurant.
Check out this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/travel/affordable-dining-in-paris.html
Bouillon Julien is certainly beautiful and reasonably priced: https://www.bouillon-julien.com/

There will be fewer tourists in January and hopefully you'll get to enjoy Paris as more a local and with some lower prices and less demand. Also there are famous Winter Sales in the big Parisian stores that start in January if you are a shopper at all. Paris is a big city that functions year round whether or not tourists visit so I really wouldn't expect it to affect your visit too much.

Have a great trip!
=Tod

Posted by
9420 posts

January is a wonderful time to be in Paris. There will be few tourists which is fantastic. You’ll be able to walk right into anywhere you want, including Versailles. I think Paris is gorgeous in winter, no leaves on trees so you have better views of the architecture.
Doesn’t matter in the least to me that it gets dark around 5:00, all of Paris is brightly lit up.
You can still sit outside at cafés as they have heat lamps and blankets.
People still live outside in winter so Paris life is still going on all around you, it’s not quiet and lonely.
Hotels / apts are far less expensive which is a big plus.

I’d rather be in Paris Jan-March than any other time of year for all the reasons above.

Yes, gardens / parks are not as enjoyable if it’s cold out. And some places are closed in winter... Monet’s house and garden, Vaux-le-Vicomte. But i’ll take that over crowds of tourists.

Google Le Calife and read reviews on TripAdvisor.com. It’s a 1930s style Seine river dinner cruise ship. Might be a fun way to celebrate your birthday.

Posted by
9420 posts

I forgot to recommend Paris Walks, a great walking tour company, go to their website and see all the wonderful tours they offer.