Please sign in to post.

Paris in February

So due to work commitment's I may have to move some things around which might mean instead of "April in Paris" I get "Feburary in Paris"

Anyone gone in February? Got any thoughts, would you go again then?

(Yes, I know it will be cold, but on the positive side it will also probably be emptier)

Posted by
13946 posts

Yes, I would go then without hesitation, if it were the only time I could go. But, you know I'm crazy for Paris, lol!!

The positive thing is that last year the pollen in April was dreadful...enough so that I was constantly doing Covid tests to make sure it was allergies over Covid, lol. In Feb you would not have that to deal with.

By Feb you've got a little bit of lengthening of days and if it's grayer than you might find in April you're returning to Atlanta where you'll have plenty of sunshine instead of having to cope with grayness day in and day out.

Posted by
6510 posts

I've never been there in midwinter but why not, if it's Feb or not at all? It's a big city with lots to see and do indoors as well as outside. Most of the sidewalk cafes will have heaters and plastic around the tables to keep it warmer. Or just go inside! Bring layers to wear and rely on the Metro to get around in any weather.

Posted by
2546 posts

The sidewalk heaters have been outlawed, considered a waste of valuable energy resources. Still, in Paris there is always something to do, to see, or to visit, no matter when you visit.

Posted by
3114 posts

Hi Carol,
I've been twice in February and would go again in winter in a moment.
Once for two weeks in 2016 while I took a French language course, and once for about 10 days the next year.
It was wonderful!
Far less people lining up to get into places, and most of the visitors I did see seemed to be Spanish speaking.
It wasn't too cold, but it did rain a bit, and one day it snowed for a few hours.
I was quite warm with my regular waterproof winter jacket and a fleece underneath.
I did have a warm scarf and hat and gloves too.
And waterproof walking boots/shoes.
On those trips I was in a vacation rental apartment, but now with fuel prices and crises, I think a winter trip would be better in a hotel....it might be warmer.
This past September in Florence, our host was already worrying about winter fuel prices, and reminding us to turn off lights, etc.
I think that would be the same now for winter all over Europe.
There are plenty of museums and big, beautiful shops to warm up in if you're chilly!
Go!

Posted by
201 posts

Absolutely go! I have been in January a few times and one trip crossed into February -- it snowed the day I left. Yeah, cold LOL -- but so what? Bundle up and enjoy less crowds!

Posted by
851 posts

I would go to Paris any month of the year. I would not say the same for any other northern European destinations, though, just Paris.

We did a winter (December) trip to Paris about 10 years ago when it was the only time available for the trip, and it became our favorite month to visit Paris on subsequent trips.

Posted by
1549 posts

We went in February, way back in 2010. It was about fifteen degrees colder than normal and we froze. I wouldn't say don't go, but I would say have lots of warm layers.

Posted by
761 posts

I usually am in Paris for February for trade shows. It can be cold, and 10 years ago it would regularly snow. It hasn't snowed properly in Paris for a number of years, but even when it did snow it didn't really affect anything. It's a big city that was actually designed for temperatures considerably colder than we seemed destined to have in future. (Yes, I know weather and climate are two different things, but around here the weather has been changing even more rapidly than the climate)

Posted by
3698 posts

Every month has its pros and cons. I actually found February to not be as uncrowded as I thought that it would be. I'd go to Paris again any time of the year.

Posted by
6901 posts

February is fine. It can be cold (certainly colder than April), it can be wet (though not necessarily more than April), but at least the darkest days are over by the middle of the month (compared to, say, Thanksgiving or Christmas periods).

Posted by
15585 posts

Of course you should go. Paris is always a good place to be. A couple of pluses (vs. April) are short days, so lots of evening time to enjoy Paris after dark (hoping buildings and bridges will be illuminated even with the energy problems) and trees are bare so you can see the beautiful buildings they hide most of the time. Split your list of sights into indoor/outdoor so you have a plan for rainy days. Angelina's hot chocolate will be ever so good on a cold day.

Posted by
9420 posts

We spent February, 2017, in Paris and loved being there in February - more so than April-Oct. We saw very few tourists, and virtually no Americans.

We walked right into Versailles and practically had the place to ourselves. We were in the Hall of Mirrors alone. We also walked right into the Orsay.

It was in the 40s in the morning and after 6pm, but during the day it was in the low 60s with blue skies, puffy white clouds and sunny. We had no rain to speak of. I have read that Feb is historically the least rainy month of the year in Paris. Of course though, every year can be different.

It’s perfect hot chocolate weather, as Chani said (although i don’t like Angelina’s hot chocolate, lol), no one makes better hot chocolate than the French (just make sure to ask if it’s “à l’ancienne”). It’s also perfect soup weather, and French vegetable soup is my favorite (it’s puréed).

What also struck me in Feb, just as Chani said, was that there are no leaves on the trees and you can see the beautiful architecture all the better.

I prefer one warm coat rather than layers. I don’t want to peel off layers and have to hold onto them every time i go into a store or café, then put all the layers back on when i go back outside.

I’ve also spent all of April in Paris and it rained non-stop all day, every day so i’m not a fan of April in Paris.