Please sign in to post.

Paris in August

Hi everyone!
My husband and I will be in Paris August 8-18. I know Assumption is the 15th; does anyone know of any special celebrations that we could check out that day? I haven't been able to find much.

Also, after a day trip to Versailles, would you choose Vaux le Vicomte, Chantilly, or Fontainebleu? I don't want to do more than a couple of day trips during our time in Paris. I also don't want to spend more than an hour or so each way on travel time.

Last time I was in Paris was 1998.. I'm really excited and hope that not too much of the city is shut down!

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
3391 posts

I've been to Paris in August and didn't notice any difference in what was open on the 15th...I really don't think you'll have an issue. Not sure about special celebrations though...I'm sure someone else on here will know about that.
As for a follow-up to Versailles I think that Vaux is the logical choice. It was used as the inspiration for Versailles and its owner, Nicolas Fouquet, was imprisoned by Louis XIV after being accused of mismanaging state funds...when you go to the chateaux though they will tell you that it was because Louis was jealous of his house and modeled Versailles after it but on a much grander scale! I think the gardens at Vaux are spectacular. If you go in the evening they do candlelight tours of the house and gardens...thousands of candles everywhere...it's quite spectacular especially if you go on a night when they include fireworks!

Posted by
9420 posts

I agree with Anita, I recommend Vaux le Vicomte. I love it there. After Versailles, my two favorite day trips are Vaux and Giverny. Fontainebleau is also really good, after those three. I was underwhelmed by Chantilly.

Posted by
10195 posts

It's​ a religious holiday still observed in a secular country. There will be masses, some offices closed, but no changes to affect visitors.