Please sign in to post.

Paris in April

We have never been to Paris before. Which area is easiest to stay for newbies?

Posted by
491 posts

Since the transportation is so good it really doesn't matter all that much. We last stayed a few blocks from the Opera. There were two subway entrances within minutes of our front door. There was a nearby grocery store, lot's of restaurants, a bakery, wine shops etc. We were able to get anywhere in the city without much effort. My suggestion is to find a location that is in your price range that offers the conveniences that you want while keeping an eye on how close it is to the subways...enjoy..April is a nice time to visit.

Posted by
4821 posts

I agree with Mack, that just about anywhere in central Paris will work as long as you are close to at least one Metro stop. If you look at a map of the Paris arrondissements you'll see that they flow outwards from the Seine in a clockwise direction. The 1st thru the 7th are the most central. Everyone has their favorites. We like the 5th, with the Latin Quarter's many bars and restaurants, the Luxembourg Gardens, and it's proximity to Ile de la Cité. Others like le Marais, Ile St Louis, or St. Germain.

We usually use booking.com or hotels.com to search for hotels because their filters make it easy to narrow your search to meet your needs.

Posted by
1368 posts

For my first time in Paris I chose the area round Saint Michel RER/Metro stop. You have the RER B there that gets you to and from CDG & runs North & South. RER C that runs sort of East & West & heads out to Versailles and Metro 4 line that runs North & South. Also it is near a lot of the sites, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, the Latin Quarter & walking distance to the Louvre. After that first trip I became comfortable with the city & for my second trip I rented an apartment on Ile. St. Louis & for next years trip I plan to stay in the Marais Arr. As mentioned above, being near a metro stop is good. The metro lines were easy to figure out & I became a pro at it after the second day. During my second trip I started using the buses as well. I had an App. to help with that.
Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
5580 posts

I've stayed in Latin Quarter and I've stayed by the Eiffel tour by the La Tour-Maubourg Metro stop. The La Tour-Maubourg stop is convenient to the Eiffel tour and Rue Cler and not much else. The Latin Quarter is withing walking distance of so many places--Louvre, Notre Dame, Pantheon, Luxembourg Gardens to name a few. In any case, I've walked around Paris on both sides of the river quite a bit on 4 trips and I have decided that I prefer to stay on the left bank of the river over the right.

Posted by
6486 posts

You're always close to a Metro stop, and the "best" Metro stations are those where two lines intersect, giving you four directions to choose from as you see the sights.

I'd agree with a previous poster that the area around St-Michel would be especially convenient, for Metro and RER connections, walkability to many sights, and the excitement of the neighborhood.

Besides booking.com, I use the "street view" feature of Google Earth to "eyeball" neighborhoods around possible hotels. Google Earth also provides links to most hotels' own websites, which are usually preferable for making your reservation in case any problems arise later.

Posted by
4037 posts

Google Maps is also useful (I presume it connects with Google Earth?) Pick out a possible location, click on Nearby, and it will show hotels, restaurants, pubs, etc, almost always with links to click for further information. It also has a Destinations function to plan your routes by Metro etc. around Paris.