Please sign in to post.

Paris Hotels in December

OK, lets see if I can get this post in the correct country this time.

My wife and I are planning a Paris trip in early December as our first getaway since the pandemic and are looking for hotel recommendations. We are in our 70s and are anxious to retest our travel abilities with cities we're already familiar with.

We have had mixed results with hotels in Paris in the past. Our 2/3 star hotel experiences in the left bank and Marais have been pretty dismal. Raising our standards a bit to 3/4 stars near les Halles and Opera were much better, but the Opera hotel didn't survive COVID and les Halles is further away from where we want to stay. We are thinking of staying either near Place Vendome (no, not the Ritz) or in the area around Saint-Germain-des-Pres. As we get older we like being more comfortable, 3-4 stars and a lift large enough to hold both a person and their suitcase. We would like to keep the price to about $300. We've seen several on Google maps, but are interested in hearing newer reviews from the RS community. Thanks.

Posted by
3695 posts

I feel like I recommend the same hotel all the time on this forum so here I go again: take a look at Hotel Odeon Saint Germain on Rue Saint Sulpice. It’s not technically in Saint Germain but it is quite close. Over near Place Vendome, I like Hotel La Tamise. I have not stayed in either in years because I now stay in an apartment but I continue to recommend them often and “visit” them and get feedback from people who I have suggested them to that is very positive. I think both are relative bargains given their locations and amenities.
By the way, if you mean early December 2022, IMO, you should lock down a hotel reservation ASAP. December is a very busy time in Paris. It’s anecdotal evidence but I know four couples or families going to Paris this December all saying they are going as their first big trip since the pandemic and my friends who live in Paris say it has been very busy with tourists this year.

Posted by
1161 posts

Very solid advice from JHK. We just got back from Paris last week and it was indeed busy. Glad to see the recovery going strong, and December is a popular time.

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks to both JHK and JR. I will check out those hotels. I was beginning to wonder if December was going to be extra busy. It's not the typical travel season, but Paris will be decked out for Christmas. I've been finding airfares lower than I expected leading me to belioeve it won't be crowded, but one of the hotels I have stayed at in Paris, and another in London are booked up. Guess I better move faster than I thought.

Posted by
2545 posts

Exact prices per night change depending upon demand and season, but these are my favorite hotels near St Germain des Prés:

Hôtel Madison
Hôtel d'Aubusson
Villa Madame
Hôtel Millesime
Hôtel des Marrionniers
la Villa St Germain des Prés
Hôtel de l'Abbaye Saint-Germain

I would book as soon as you can.

Posted by
1161 posts

If considering other areas, Relais Bosquet is a fan favorite here as well - it's in the 7th - a block of the market/restaurant street Rue Cler and less than a 10-minute walk to the Tower or the River. We have always enjoyed this place, it's clean and reasonable, has an elevator, a good solid breakfast, and some rooms have an Eiffel Tower view. The bus stop is close by if you choose to use it to get around. Just a thought. St. Germain is lovely as well.

Posted by
12 posts

Hotel Relais du Louvre- reasonably priced 4 star hotel across from the Louvre.

Posted by
427 posts

We had a good stay at Hôtel de Lille at 40 rue de Lille in Saint-Germain a couple of years ago. The rooms are a bit small, as is typical for Paris, but well decorated and comfortable. They're decorated in the theme of artists, writers, and performers having some link to the neighborhood. Our room was the Henry Miller one.

Posted by
1336 posts

Not far from Place Vendome is my favorite hotel, L'Hotel Saint-Petersbourg Opera. It is as French as French can be. It's where former dancers at the opera used to stay, so that's where the name comes from. The rooms are charming and beautiful and some rooms have amazing balconies. The breakfast is top notch and the breakfast room and lobby are beautiful. It's on the Rue Caumartin 2 steps from Printemps, the Opera, and not far from Place Vendome.

Posted by
343 posts

My friend and I stayed at Hotel Residence des Arts in 2019 and loved it. Very convenient location near St. Michel metro. Lovely and large rooms. The elevator is small but would hold a person and a suitcase although they carried our luggage up for us.

Posted by
349 posts

Stayed at the Citadines on St. Germain des Pres last June. It had a kitchen which was very nice. The location was great too! I enjoyed my stay there and would stay again.

Posted by
4044 posts

A side comment: It is worthwhile to remember what the Paris star system rates. It evaluates the hotel building and the physical services available. If the place has an elevator, that helps to earn a star. It is not primarily a gauge of the quality of the experience, as would be expected in a restaurant guide.

Posted by
10 posts

Love all of Paris but prefer St German des Pres. Usually stay in either L'Hotel Pas de Calais on Rue Des Saint Peres which is just a few meters away from Ralph's or Au Manor on Saint German Boulevard next to Lipp. We have never been disappointed. Our favorite rooms at Pas de Calais are 68 or 69. It's a lovely 16th century building that has been renovated and the people are so sweet and helpful. We're blessed to be in Paris twice per year and can't imagine staying elsewhere. We've done apartments but I get so little time away from work that I don't want to do more work than decide what to see and drink or eat😀

Posted by
352 posts

It's not in the area you mentioned,, but I was very impressed in August with the 25Hours Hotel just across the street from Gare du Nord. It's a perfect spot for transportation anywhere in Paris. I am also in my 70's, so I really value having trains, Metr, and taxis right outside the front door! I left a detailed review of it in late August/early Sept. with a title something like "Surprisingly good Paris hotel" in case you are interested.

Posted by
8055 posts

December is again high season for hotels; lots of people head for Paris over the winter holidays. Around Christmas and New Years is particularly pricey and busy.

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks to all. Sounds like a lot of good hotels to keep in mind. Unfortunately, our plans changed yet again, and it looks like if I want to see Paris decked out for Christmas, it will be next year. A couple of people mentioned the hotel star rating in Paris (or maybe all of France). We've run into that before when we stayed at a 3 star rated hotel in the Marais that deserved maybe 1 star at most. Anyway, a lot of choices to look at when we finally get across the pond again.

Thanks again.