Please sign in to post.

Paris hotels

I’m researching hotels for a 4-5 night stay following a tour. Criteria: located close to the Luxembourg Gardens, inexpensive, plain and simple, decent. So far, I've come up with Hotel Diana, Hotel Marignan, Hotel Latin Home, Hotel La Louisiane. Anyone have any reviews of these, or other suggestions? Thanks!

Posted by
9420 posts

Hotel Diana is very good, excellent location, nice rooms. Don’t be put off by the unattractive lobby when you walk in. Usually it’s the other way around, nice lobby, meh rooms. Hotel Diana didn’t get that memo.

Hotel Marignan is fine, but no elevator. Excellent location. But be aware it is very, very budget. Needs new carpet, paint, curtains, etc. They have a nice, big washer and dryer that you can use for free (or used to be free). They have a communal kitchen you can use as well.

Posted by
2454 posts

Thanks, Susan, that’s very helpful. Love the idea of in-house laundry and kitchen.

Posted by
9420 posts

The area where Hotel Odessa is would not be my first choice to stay, especially if it’s your 1st or 2nd visit to Paris. Being close to Notre Dame (the heart and center of Paris) and the Luxembourg Gardens (my favorite place on the planet) is ideal. Most, if not all, of the hotels you listed Inbsig are in the ideal Notre Dame/Luxembourg Gardens area. I’d stick to that area.

Posted by
2454 posts

I’m sure looking forward to those Gardens. Also want to see the Musée de Cluny, and other nearby delights, so I will aim to stay in that area.

Posted by
9420 posts

Glad to hear. Musée de Cluny is 2 min from Hotel Diana and 3 min from Hotel Marignan, and 8 min from my favorite entrance to the Luxembourg Gardens. Can’t get much closer!

Posted by
5595 posts

We've stayed in Hotel Familia several times, Great people, clean, very modest prices. But, the property still has a "Paris" feel, with the rod iron balconies. They have a sister hotel next door that is slightly more upscale (Minerve). They are in the Latin quarter, perhaps a 15 minute walk to Luxembourg Gardens, 5 minutes to the Notre Dame.

Posted by
2546 posts

I rarely make hotel recommendations without budget guidance, and descriptors such as inexpensive mean vastly different things to different people. A budget window in euros and knowing the number of people in your party would be enormously helpful.

Being familiar with the hotels you list, I might conclude your budget is around 100€ per night, or slightly more, which is very modest for this area of Paris. You might try Hotel Jean Bart which is in the 6th, less than a 2 minute walk to the west entrance of the Jardin du Luxembourg. Another modest, yet charming hotel is the nearby Hotel le Clement.

The Musée de Cluny is closed until well into 2022.

Posted by
556 posts

Grand Hotel des Balcons is my favorite for the 6th. Family run. I wouldn't call it inexpensive. I'd call it average. Close to the Lux, close to the Odeon (#4) tram stop. Not far from the Louvre.

Posted by
2454 posts

Thank you, Tocard and Kateja. More possibilities to think about. This Forum is super helpful!

Posted by
798 posts

I rarely make hotel recommendations but in this case I will make an exception since you seem to be looking in our range of hotels. We have stayed the the Home Latin four times and and will happily stay there again, given the chance,, in fact I recently cancelled a reservation there for this year's cancelled trip. The rooms are nice, the breakfast selections are ample and it is very convenient to Luxembourg Gardens, the Pantheon, Notre Dame, Shakesoeare & Company etc.