Please sign in to post.

Paris hotel recommendations?

What is your favorite affordable place to stay in Paris? Looking for suggestions.

Posted by
11507 posts

Hotel Diana - central , clean, affordable, and has ac , excellant location.

Hotel Eugenie - ditto, plus these rooms have mini fridge which i like to stock with drinks and snacks

Hotel St Pierre - ditto , except rooms are VERY small , even for Paris, and dont have mini fridge( but ac is good) This is likely the cheapest choice.

Hotel de la Place Du Louvre - right bank hotel by louvre , probaly priciest of my choices .

Posted by
1307 posts

I have stayed several times at the Hotel Minerve and the Hotel Familia, both in the 5th and next door to each other on the Rue des Ecoles in the 5th. These are beautiful hotels, and reasonably priced, but not for me traveling solo this time and so not splitting the cost.
I also like the Hotel Porte Doree near the Parc Vincennes, a bit out of the way but in a neighborhood rather than the tourist areas. It's owned and run by an American woman married to a Parisian man who took over the hotel from his family and refurbished it beautifully.
For my upcoming solo trip I am booked at the Hotel Diana in the 5th which has a little fridge in the room and has been recommended by several people on the forum. (Fingers crossed ...)
None of these are in neighborhoods that Rick picks his hotels from, so maybe a little easier to book?

Posted by
5226 posts

Karin,
We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Diana this June. It's clean, comfortable, with friendly staff, good Wi-Fi , A/C & elevator. I think the price is very reasonable.
There's a Metro & several bus stops close by & you can walk to several nearby sites such as the Cluny Museum, La Sorbonne University, Notre Dame, etc, etc...

Posted by
1337 posts

I, too, stayed at the Hotel Familia. I found it adequate. Very barebones and some charm.

I also recently stayed at Hotel Yllen Eiffel and loved it. The breakfast was fabulous.

Normally when I'm on a tight budget I stay at the Ibis chain ----usually Ibis Style Alésia Montparnasse. Ibis Styles includes breakfast. The accommodations are also barebones but generally they are clean and quite functional. Some of the Ibis Styles brands hotels have some cool, quaint decoration. Others are simply just a bed. Generally you know what you're going to get. Sometimes you can get a good rate at a Mercure brand hotel (both Ibis and Mercure are owned by Accor Hotels ...as are there more upscale brands such as Novotel, Pullman, Sofitel, and MGallery). Gen

Posted by
1097 posts

Our RS tour this summer stayed at Hotel Lenox Montparnasse and I found it quite nice. Great public space (free coffee always available), very good breakfast, room was on the small side but bathroom was roomy with good space to lay out our stuff. Air conditioning. Very convenient to Metro, too. I think we got the smallest room in the hotel, sometimes that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Posted by
1976 posts

What's your budget? My sister and I loved the Hotel du Levant in the 5th. Excellent location (request a room on the courtyard because the streets get noisy at night) and a delicious breakfast included in the price of the room.

For a slightly cheaper option, there's the Hotel Cluny Sorbonne, also in the 5th. Breakfast isn't included but the neighborhood is great.

Posted by
5697 posts

We have stayed at Timhotel Jardin des Plantes, which recently was running a special of €199 for two people for two nights, including extensive breakfasts (had to book directly with their website.) Not in one of the RS "approved" areas, but interesting (near University and Arab Institute, short walk to Latin Quarter and Notre Dame, Metro connections.)

Posted by
287 posts

Laura B - I stayed at the Jardin des Plantes on my very first trip to Paris. Back then there was no Timhotel chain, but I see from the pictures they have done some updates on the rooms (which were quite lovely the way they were back in '92). I have very fond memories of that hotel. Do they still have the little roof area where you can sit outside?

The neighborhood there was lovely, with the Jardin des Plantes right across the street and the metro stop at the opposite end of the street. There were several nice little eating places as I recall.

Posted by
11507 posts

There are HUNDREDS of great hotels not in the Rick Steves promoted areas.. never limit yourself.. he doesn't.. his tours do not always stay on Rue Cler.. I know my RS stayed in the 14th and my friends stayed in the 11th.

Posted by
5697 posts

@Debbie, yes the Timhotel still has a sundeck. We had stayed before in room 55, which was good-sized, but evidently the rooms ending in numbers less than 5 are standard Paris-tiny.

Posted by
565 posts

I'm always surprised that very, very few people ever recommend the 9th arrondisment. While parts of it aren't super beautiful, there are lovely areas with Hausmann buildings, cafes, and easy access to public transport, including RoissyBus and a direct bus line to Gare du Nord. I've stayed in this district twice, the first time at Hotel Opera Deauville, the second in a fantastic AirBnb. I highly recommend this neighborhood, even if others don't.

Posted by
1337 posts

Emily, I agree with you on the 9th. It's one of my favorite places in Paris, too.

There I recommend Hotel Chopin in the magnificent Passage Jouffroy if you're on a budget. Some good Best Westerns in the area, too.

Posted by
101 posts

As someone mentioned earlier - we really don't know what your budget is. But if being centrally located is at least somewhat important - my wife and I love the Hotel Jeu de Paume on Ile St. Louis.

Posted by
9422 posts

Hotel du Jeu de Paume is super expensive. It's on Ile St Louis, my favorite neighborhood, there are 3 other very good hotels there that are less expensive than Jeu de Paume... Hotel St Louis en l'Isle, Hotel des Deux Iles and Hotel de Lutèce. Worth every penny, imo, but they aren't budget hotels.

Posted by
101 posts

Hey Susan,

Not sure what you mean by 'Super Expensive.' And again - we don't know budget for the OP. But my wife and I stayed there over Christmas 2014 for less than $200/night. For the location and timeframe - that was not super expensive. But I decided to investigate a little further. I picked a random 4 night stay (same stay for all hotels) in February (again - we don't know when the OP is traveling) - and here are the rates I found for the Jeu de Paume and the three hotels you mentioned. All hotels double room to be consistent:

Hotel Jeu de Paume - 157 Euros/night
Hotel St. Louis en Isle - 205 Euros/night
Hotel des Deux Iles - 179 Euros/night
Hotel de Letuce - 167.50/Euros/night

So......if Jeu de Paume is 'Super Expensive' - not sure what that makes the other three you mentioned?

I was simply giving the OP an option to check out - one that I knew wasn't exorbitantly priced and one that we had an enjoyable stay at. Not sure it does a worthwhile service to just offhandedly label it as super expensive when it really isn't.

Posted by
9422 posts

My apologies Dave. For many years I kept looking at Jeu de Paume but it was always at least $100 more than the other hotels so I gave up on it. From your info it seems things have changed, maybe new ownership for Jeu de Paume.