Please sign in to post.

Paris Hotel Question

Looking at two hotels:

Dauphine Saint Germain or Quai Voltaire

We're traveling in February and the price is essentially the same for similar room types.

Looking at Paris hotels is starting to do my head in. We were going to go with an apartment, but with all the questions around registration, we're leaning towards a hotel.

Posted by
5687 posts

Dauphine Saint Germain is in my opinion in a better location - the 5th/6th is a fun part of town to stay in. I stayed near there in May.

The Quai Voltaire is really close to the Musee D'Orsay, if that matters to you - and right across the river from the Louvre.

Neither one is probably a bad choice, though.

Can't comment on the hotels themselves or the rooms. I would read the reviews carefully on Trip Advisor and say Booking.com (where reviews can come only from people who have stayed there).

Posted by
11 posts

Many thanks, I am leaning toward Dauphine. Reviews are all over the place for both. I haven't spotted a general theme, which after my last two hotel stays (both corporate bookings so out of my hands), I need to pay closer attention to.

I am absolutely open to recommendations as well, based on what I've looked at I think we can stay under 200 Euro/night this time of year for a pretty good place.

Posted by
64 posts

I am booked at the Voltaire in April. I'd love for you to post back once you decide where you're staying and let us know how it was

Posted by
5687 posts

Browsing reviews of the Dauphine Saint Germain on Booking.com, most of the reviews are positive. The biggest complaint is the size of the room - too small for the price. (A few people complain about street noise.) But most people love the location, and having stayed nearby myself recently, I agree with them.

I stayed at two hotels in the area on my last trip, actually. One of them was the Hotel Europe Saint Severin, which isn't far from the Dauphine Saint Germain. The location as I said was great in my view. Yes, my room was small, but I was traveling solo. I found a great last-minute deal on it in May on the hotel's own website for 80 Euros/night. If you book a place that has free cancellation, you might keep your options open in the week leading up to arrival and check hotels like the Dauphine Saint Germain again and see if their rates have gone down - or maybe they have bigger rooms for cheaper, if they aren't solidly booked.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks Andrew!

That might be our strategy, there is actually a good cancelable rate at Des Nations Saint Germain with no prepayment so I'm really tempted to roll the dice and book it, and see what is available last minute on others. All in for the largest room type is 710 Euro our dates.

That said, Dauphine is only 860 for our dates... but I can do a lot with 150!

Posted by
11 posts

i wanted to add that what i am seeing/reading is weakening of USD into 2018, so prepaying might not be the end of the world either :)

Posted by
7175 posts

Dauphine Saint Germain Is in a better location, closer to Notre Dame and with less walking to the nearest metro stop. It is rated much higher on review sites as well.

Posted by
11507 posts

Smaller rooms are the norm in Paris unless you can afford a much more expensive hotel .

Posted by
2466 posts

The rates are good for the Hotel Dauphine Saint-Germain. I'd book the superior double room.
You can get anywhere in the city by Metro.

Quai Voltaire was once a convent, and it has a view of the Louvre, but the tour boats at night may make you miserable.