Please sign in to post.
Posted by
734 posts

I think he stays at a variety of hotels, but I know he likes the Rue Cler neighborhood in the 7th. Are you wondering where his tours stay? If so, I think recently they've stayed at Hotel de la Tour Eiffel. If you look at the various scrapbooks that tour members have created, I bet you'll see some of the other places they've stayed.

Here is a link to the scrapbooks...

https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/scrapbooks

Posted by
490 posts

If you are a first time visitor you will have to travel A LOT from Rue Cler to see the rest of Paris. Perhaps on a future visit or LONGER stay of a couple of weeks it may suit. I lived right near the Tour Eiffel and let me tell you traveling from there is NOT FUN.

Left Bank/Rue Cler...Eiffel tower, quay Branley museum, tour boats...and plenty of Paris neighborhoods have Rue Cler style food shops...only good if you are renting an apartment and cooking meals anyway!

RIGHT BANK ATTRACTIONS
Champs-Elysees
Louvre Museum
Arc de Triomphe
Tuileries Gardens
Montmartre neighborhood
Sacre Coeur Basilica
Pere Lachaise Cemetery
Musee de l’Orangerie
Musee Picasso
Centre Pompidou
Moulin Rouge
Place Vendome
Opera de Paris (Palais Garnier)
Le Marais neighborhood
Place des Vosges
Bastille Opera
Place de la Concorde
Galeries Lafayette flagship store
Printemps flagship store
Canal Saint-Martin
Parc des Princes
Musee Marmottan Monet
Trocadero
Pigalle Red Light District
Parc de la Villette

Posted by
3702 posts

I have stayed at the Hotel Londres et Eiffel and other than the 3 rooms used by my family, everyone else in the hotel was on a Rick Steves tour and the tour guide mentioned that the great man himself had stayed there on occasion. It's funny because I generally do not agree with Rick's Hotel recommendations but in the case of the Londres et Eiffel I agree that it is an excellent choice for a person wishing to stay in the 7th.

Posted by
3 posts

Rick always talks about one hotel he goes back to time and again in the Rue Claire, with the beam me up Scotty elevator. I just wanted to know the name, if your not exact with ppl, I get 30 different answers from the one I asked!

Posted by
3702 posts

Why didn't you ask that question in the first place? Details in your question lead to precise answers. The hotel with the "beam me up Scotty" elevator is the Grand Hotel Leveque. And it's the Rue Cler area not Rue Claire.

Posted by
1443 posts

RS tours use a variety of hotels in Paris, and not just in the Rue Cler area.

Posted by
2047 posts

I know Rick has stayed at the Relais Bosquet Hotel near rue Cler. It has larger rooms and is very nice.

Posted by
32213 posts

The "beam me up Scotty" elevator sounds like Hotel Grand Leveque, which is in the Rue Cler area. I've stayed there on several occasions and used that elevator. It's not luxurious but the rooms are comfortable and the staff are great so no complaints from me.

Posted by
108 posts

I'm currently staying at the Hotel Beaugency near rue Cler, the same hotel I stayed at when I was on the BOE in 21 Days tour I took three years ago. As I was waiting for the front desk to print a ticket for me last week, a large group came in - it was a RS BOE in 21 Days group! Afterwards I was speaking with the woman behind the desk and inquired if she knew my tour guide form three years ago. She said she will be in next week! She further said RS has a group check in every week. This is definitely a hotel that Rick Steves Tour Groups have been using for years.

The Hotel is a 10 minute walk to the Effiel Towel and a 5 minute walk to the Metro Station. I think using the Metro to get around is part of the experience and it is fun too!

This may be the Hotel you are looking for. It has the smallest elevator I have ever seen! At 2' x 3' it is barely big enough for one person and one large bag - and it is hot and slow to boot!. I only use it when arriving with, and departing with, luggage - otherwise I use the narrow stairs that wind around the elevator casing to the top floor. :)

Posted by
9420 posts

As others have already said the "beam me up Scotty" elevator is Hotel Leveque on rue Cler. You can see/hear him in one his travel shows from the 90s showing the hotel and the elevator.

RS stays in lots of hotels, and quite expensive ones now that he's older and has a gf, I have heard.

And I agree that rue Cler, and the 7th in general, is not the most convenient area to stay. I love the mêtro but it involves a lot of walking and time. I like to stay in central Paris, close to Nôtre Dame, where I can walk out the front door and already be where I want to be and where the most interesting places for visitors are.

The mêtro is good for out of the way places, like the 7th and beyond.

Posted by
8396 posts

Rick's frequent hotel there is the Hotel Relais Bosquet. He just posted on facebook from there recently.

I have also stayed at this hotel and can highly recommend it. If you "friend" the hotel on facebook, you get breakfast included in your stay for free and it is a great breakfast.