Please sign in to post.

Paris hotel during 2024 Olympics?

Planning ahead and thinking about the crazy crowds….Any recommendations for accommodations with a/c during that time? We know we will be heading to Nanterre a couple of times and to the Eiffel Tower area so transportation options will definitely be important. We do not have to be in the center of it all but a convenient, safe, charming area to explore would be amazing. This isn’t our first trip but it will be our “busiest.” Thank you for any advice. :)

Posted by
8383 posts

I’ve never stayed in a city during an Olympics, but I have always had the impression that people raise rates on apartment rentals sky high during this time. In Paris, I imagine we will see a huge increase in the number of illegal rentals. I think I would be looking for a hotel near the metro that is moderately sized. Many hotels may not have opened their reservations this far out, but sometimes you can find really advance reservations on booking.com.

Posted by
52 posts

Yes! I’m expecting high rates but looking at hotels rather than apartments as I will be too anxious about a host canceling. 😬 I am just trying to do my homework now so I can jump on reservations once those dates open up in a few months. Everyone is super helpful here. :). Thank you!

Posted by
2745 posts

So I was in Atlanta for the Olympics luckily, I had a free place to stay with a friend, but I do kind of remember some of the hotel issues that occur here.

One assume that any major hotel chain will not be an option. Any modern hotel anywhere close to Paris is going to be full of international delegations companies, TV, people, etc.

Two. You’re doing the right thing and starting to make a list of options now that would work for you. Because you’re going to have to move fast I would also assume that your reservation probably won’t be refundable so you might want to start looking into insurance to protect yourself if Something Happens.

I completely agree with you on the apartments. I feel like Paris is already cracking down hard on our rentals. I expect They are really going to try to enforce restrictions next year. Olympics. Also because of the restrictions owners can only rent for 120 days, those owners are going to try to rent during the Olympics for prime pricing. They don’t have the same long-term interest in keeping customers happy as hotels imho.

Personally, I would be looking in the double digit arrondissements. I have stayed in the 13th and 14th numerous times. The metro makes it easy to get anywhere. I also expect that if you’re actually going to some of the events, they won’t all be in the historic center of Paris so you don’t need to be right near the Eiffel tower or anything

Posted by
52 posts

Thank you to everyone for all of your advice! I’m looking at the 14th as suggested for this trip. If there are any favorite hotels (we don’t need fancy..just a/c) , please, please share. Thanks, again! :)

Posted by
2546 posts

I have a slightly different view on apartment rental during the Olympics. I believe that there will be a lot of legal rentals. The illegal apartment crackdown was to stop investors from purchasing rental space used by city residents and convert their apartments into short term rentals for tourists, thereby increasing rental revenues. Sometimes, single apartments were split into two vacation apartments, more than doubling what investors could make renting long term.

However, nothing in the rental laws precludes an owner/occupant from renting his primary resident for up to 120 days a year in Paris. (The Nice annual limit is 90 days). I should think that there will be a good number of residents very willing to temporarily move out of their homes simply for the enhanced rental revenue they will realize during a period of significant demand.

Prices per night will likely reach new peaks, but if you are willing to pay, there should be expanded options.

Posted by
3954 posts

If you’ve been to Paris before and are looking at double digit arrondesments take a look at a hotel where we’ve stayed on several visits to Paris. It’s a modern Holiday Inn with AC built right on the quay of the Bassin de la Villette in the 19th. There is always a lot going on at the Bassin in the summer. The area has has cafes, 3 metro stops nearby, the Parc Buttes Chaumont is a few minutes walk uphill, Canal St Martin is nearby and central Paris is a reasonable, to me, meteo ride away. A friend lives near the entrance to the Parc so we have been here many times.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/gb/en/paris/parlv/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-EX-_-FR-_-PARLV

Posted by
6901 posts

Since you need to go to Nanterre, I would perhaps stay west of Nanterre. Saint Germain en Laye is very pleasant, a short commute to Nanterre, not too bad to Paris proper, and should escape the worst of Olympic crowds as there are no venues thereabouts.

Posted by
1 posts

As far as I can tell all the hotels are sold out on all of the major booking sites. There are a few openings on some of the home sharing sites, but are extremely expensive. Are there other alternatives that I am missing?

Posted by
52 posts

Many hotels have not yet opened for bookings that far out. I have managed to find several that are available by going directly through the individual hotel booking sites. My suggestion would be to find the neighborhood that you would like to stay in and then search all hotels in the area directly on their sites. Some have also said that bookings have been canceled but so far ours is still confirmed. 🤞

Posted by
352 posts

Echo Mona's recommendation for the Holiday Inn Express, Canal de la Villette. It's in more of a residential neighborhood vs. a touristy area, but that was actually very nice to get away from the crowds at the end of a long day. There were a number of nice restaurants within a 2 block area.

Posted by
2 posts

We are three adults and one adolescent primarily interested in the equestrian events at Versailles. Someone recommended finding a place near one of the RER-C stations for the best transport to Versailles. Personally, I would prefer to fly into Paris Orly, stay near Versailles and take the RER-C into Paris for whatever. I have been digging into the lodging situation in Paris and near Versailles, but have obviously started very late and desperation is setting in. Our options include hotels, apartments, homes, yurts on the Bois de Boulogne, or whatever else might be available. Are we too late? Thanks very much for helps.

Posted by
52 posts

@jo.vining6…..

I don’t think you are too late! There are A LOT of hotels that have not and will not open their bookings until starting one year out. I have also found that you need to go directly to the hotel sites individually to check dates. I just zoned in on an area that we preferred and started checking hotels. We are opting to stay in the 14th with two rooms as that is best within our budget.

Have you secured event tickets? There is another phase that is marketed to be released at the end of the year plus the resale platform in Spring 2024. If you are open to many events, I think you will be ok. If you have your heart set on something specific, I think there are already those who are disappointed. I was not able to get equestrian tickets in either of the first two phases (for example) but I know some did. We are just excited to go and take in other options. Don’t give up! :)

Posted by
2 posts

@ gefam. Thanks for the glimmer of hope! We have tickets for the cross-country and show jumping phase of the eventing phases, and a couple of soccer tickets that we will probably try to sell or exchange. Our goal is to find a place within decent walking distance of the RER-C, which goes from Paris to Versailles where the equestrian events occur. There is a handful of stops in the center of Paris, all close to big tourist sites, and therefore pretty expensive. I will look for the likely arronddisements, and the 14th, but if you don't mind, how did you determine the area in which to focus?

Posted by
18 posts

We also have tickets to the Olympics and I have been keeping a close eye on hotel room bookings opening up. Many don't open until 11 months out, and we will be there 24-29 July 2024, so I am trying to jump on a reservation as soon as I can!

I’ll be in paris for a swimming session, and lyon and marseille for sailing and football. Really stressing out about the hotel accommodations. anyone have advice for going through a travel agency or just doing it on your own?

Posted by
52 posts

@jo.vining6 .. so sorry as I thought I had replied!

As far as determining where to look..
I just put in several of our venues in Google maps to see what the public trans and/or walking time would be from various neighborhoods/hotels. We can reach over half on foot within an hour which sounds like a long time but I’m thinking “worst case scenario” if trains are overloaded or not on schedule. I am also partial to the left bank and always to try to be near a metro, park, open space and a market for picnic items. There are so many great areas in Paris so I’m not sure you can really go wrong as long as you are near a metro and something. :) We have also been in that neighborhood for dinner before and noted that we appreciated the vibe as people actually live there and it’s a bit less touristy. I’m sure during the Olympics, everything will feel congested but it’s a good option for our family. Hope this helps a little!

Posted by
1 posts

It’s my families first time going to Paris and we are going for the Olympics. It wasn’t something we really originally planned but I ended up getting tickets in the lottery and now we are all so excited.
I started looking at hotels in Paris tonight for Aug 4-5 and then 8-10 (going to southern France mid week) and I am panicking… do I need to grab one of the few that I see available or do we truly think more will open up?? I have been able to tell that some sites do have their booking open already but others it is hard to tell if their sold out or just haven’t opened those dates yet… I am hoping to stay in the 15th based on the location of our events. Am I out of luck or starting just in time? What I’ve read in articles is all over the place saying you have to go through a partner of the Olympics to things not being opened yet. Thank you in advance for your help!

Posted by
13946 posts

I’d read the cancellation policies very carefully and then book what you can now if the cancellation policy is good. If you do have to go thru partners then you can try that and cancel your original reservation if you book something else.

Posted by
3 posts

I completely agree with Tocard. There will be a lot of legal rentals in Paris during the Olympics, notably family apartments which would never have been rented if it hadn't been for the Olympics. Unfortunately few people will take advantage of these rentals. For the benefit of hotels which have multiplied their prices (4 to 15 times the normal price: https://www.leparisien.fr/economie/90-euros-la-nuit-cet-ete-1-363-euros-lete-prochain-le-prix-des-hotels-senvole-pendant-les-jo-de-paris-08-08-2023-7S3ZGADNYVF5HEW7LE2R3RTJG4.php Hotel prices).
Two or three stars hotels are renting one room the same price (and sometimes twice the price) I'm tring to rent my apartment (which has 4 bedrooms). But nobody seems to be interested by my apartment...
If people prefer paying an hotel room 4 to 15 times its normal price, then serve them right!

Posted by
13946 posts

@Nicolas - have the Paris authorities changed the way apartments can be rented during the Olympics? I'd be worried the apartment would be unavailable at the last moment renting on one of the platforms like Air BnB or Vrbo. (Not the same concerns from someone I "know", lol).

Posted by
6901 posts

In Paris, you can rent the flat you live in for up to 120 nights/year. If you are a renter yourself, you need your landlord's approval. This does not change for the Olympics, but I know many people who are considering taking time off and putting their flat up for rent in the meantime. They would not be willing to take the risk of damage/issues at usual nightly rates, but at several hundred euros per night it can be worth the risk for some!

Posted by
13946 posts

Thank you Balso....I see how that is different from Air BnB and VRBO rentals.