Please sign in to post.

Paris Hotel

I've been browsing this forum for a few days and thought I'd be brave and ask a question. I'll be making my 2nd trip to Paris at the end of March and was looking for a recommendation for a hotel. I'm on somewhat of a budget and hope not to spend more than 150 Euros a night. On my last trip, over 20 years ago, I stayed near the Louvre but we were only in Paris for a day. I've been to the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay so don't necessarily need to see them again. I'd like to go Versailles again since it was closed last time and we only got to tour the gardens. I'd like to take this tour to Giverney and Versailles but it doesn't open until March 26th so I'm planning my trip around that date. A quiet hotel near the metro and near the train to the airport would be helpful. I do try to travel light. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Carol

Giverney

Posted by
12 posts

Have you looked into staying in an air b and b apartment? I've had good luck in all the air b and b's I've used in Paris, London, Venice, Prague, and Columbus, Ohio. Just enter your specifications, look at the pictures of the apartments, and read all the reviews. Then choose.

Posted by
11507 posts

Hotel Eugenie, it's in a very convenient location, close to train to airport, and to Versailles. Walk to many sites. Block from river. Clean rooms, small but fine, nice staff.

I have stayed there a few times now.

Another good choice is Hotel Diana, good location as above, on a quieter street. Have stayed there too.

And is budget is real tight, I have stayed at Hotel St Pierre twice, once again excellent location, rooms are tiny though. I would stay there again though, but likely only when I go solo. Make sure you look at the one on Rue de Ecole du Medicine, several hotels have similar names.

All 3 hotels are so central , and clean. All have small rooms.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you think the Giverney/Versailles (link above) tour is worth doing for 180 Euros? I may be able to do it cheaper myself but I'm worried about figuring out all the logistics, etc. Thanks again.

Posted by
13937 posts

I would probably not do the combined trip to Versailles and Giverny. To me it is just too much for one day. I spent about 3/4 of a day doing Giverny and all day at Versailles but I enjoy gardens and walking around in them.

The train to Giverny is surprisingly easy. The train to Vernon (the closest station to Giverny) leaves from the Gare St Lazare station. You can buy a ticket ahead of time if you are near a station or an SCNF Boutique (sales point). The price is the same. At the station in Vernon, follow the herd out the front doors to the bus/buses lined up on the right. The buses are marked Giverny and have lovely Monet flowers painted on the sides. Buy a return ticket from the driver (maybe 4€??) and get on. They drop you at the bus parking lot. Follow the herd thru the edge of the parking lot, into the tunnel under the road and back up the other side. Head for the main street and turn right as everyone else will be doing. Monet's home is a little way along the road on the right. The only thing you need to consider is which train you want to catch in the afternoon. I think I got a train about 830A and caught one about 3PM back to Paris. You just have to work back time-wise to meet up with one of the buses in the same parking lot to get back to the station in time. Others will be doing the same thing.

http://giverny.org/transpor/

Versailles is also easy. You get there on RER line C and it's a short walk to the Chateau from the train station.

You will definitely be able to do it much cheaper than the 180€. The return train ticket to Vernon is about 30€. The bus to Giverny is about 4€. The entrance to Giverny is 10,20€. RER to Versailles is under 10€, admission is covered by the Museum Pass if you have gotten one for Paris. You'll need a Metro ticket to the RER C line. Plus lunch in both places.

I am definitely a tour person, but for these 2 I would do it on my own. I ~might~ do a guided tour of the Chateau at Versailles as it can be overwhelming.

Posted by
7175 posts

Research for my next trip to Paris has me leaning towards this well reviewed 3 star boutique hotel.
http://www.observatoirehotel.com/en/design-hotel-paris/
Depending on booking time and length of stay, rooms are from approx 130 euros/night.

The location would suit you too I think ...
-- Right across from the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens - start your day with a walk here
-- Adjacent by the bustling Latin Quarter and trendy St Germain, with lots of great restaurants
-- Reasonable walking distance to Louvre, Orsay, Notre Dame
-- Right by RER train station at Luxembourg to get you to CDG.
-- RER also will get you to Versailles (via change at St Michel)
-- Half mile walk to the metro at Notre Dame des Champs and green line 12 to St Lazare Station (for Giverny)

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks for the recommendation. Now I need to decide if I want to stay near the Gardens and near a straight line to the airport or stay in the Rue Cler area like Rick recommends.

Posted by
6504 posts

csharris,

Rick recommends the Rue Cler area along with other neighborhoods like the Latin Quarter and Marais. All the hotels the other posters have recommended are in good areas, closer to most of the major sights than Rue Cler is. Rue Cler is handy to the Eiffel Tower but not a lot else. Nothing against it, but I'd much prefer a location near the Luxembourg Gardens. The RER "B" line makes your airport transfers easy too.

Posted by
32209 posts

Although it may be "touristy", I quite enjoy the Rue Cler area and feel quite at home there. I find it very convenient for visiting nearby sights such as the Eiffel Tower, the Rodin Museum, Invalides (military museum & Napoleon's Tomb) and even the Musée d'Orsay is within reasonably close walking distance (for those who are energetic). Other locations in the city are easily accessible via the Ecole Militaire Metro stop. There is also a good choice of hotels and restaurants in that area.

Posted by
11507 posts

Dick is correct.. I have been to Paris many times.. likely well over 100 days, and have yet to stay in the 7th(Rue Cler) area.. and I even took one Rick Steves tour , years ago.. and our hotel was NOT in the Rue Cler area then either.. lol

The 4th( Marais) 5th ( Latin Quarter)and 6th( St Germain) are really the best most central areas for first timers..
Rue Cler is not the most convenient transportation wise either.. so if your priority is convtenience for transport to Versailles and CDG airport.. staying near RER/metro station St Michel will make it easiest.. RER lines B ( from airport) and C( to Versailles) intersect there ..

Posted by
7033 posts

Can't help with hotel suggestions but I would not do the combined Giverny and Versailles. I did both on separate days and both were very easy, not complicated at all. For Giverny just take the train to Vernon, the bus to Giverny meets all the trains in Vernon and it's just a short ride, if weather is nice and you're a walker you can walk it. Versailles is a direct shot on the RER C train - it's cheap, quick, and easy to do on your own

PS: if you're at all confused or uncomfortable about doing them on your own, just google: Paris to Versailles or Paris to Giverny, there are websites with step by step directions to help you, from buying your tickets to which train destination to look for, etc.

Posted by
36 posts

Thank you all for your suggestions. They have been a huge help in planning my trip. While I had hoped to stay in the Rue Cler area or near Luxembourg Gardens, my niece has now decided to come with me and she is using her Hilton reward points for us to stay at the Hilton Paris Opera. What is this area like and is it easily accessible from Charles de Gaulle and to the metro, Notre Dame, etc.? What attractions are nearby? Thanks again in advance. You've all been so helpful.

Posted by
17 posts

It's a great location, lots of buses headed in all directions, good metro lines, taxi stands, AND the Roissy bus, which will get you to/from Charles de Gaulle efficiently and economically. Two wonderful 'great house' museums are close too.
Get a good book map of Paris or use the 'location' option on the hotel website and check out your new neighborhood.

Posted by
17 posts

It's a great location, lots of buses headed in all directions, good metro lines, taxi stands, AND the Roissy bus, which will get you to/from Charles de Gaulle efficiently and economically. Two wonderful 'great house' museums are close too.
Get a good book map of Paris or use the 'location' option on the hotel website and check out your new neighborhood.

Posted by
127 posts

I'm a bit late to get to the party but........

Absolutely consider the Esmeralda. In a word quirky (Translation; a lot of fun) - very near Notre Dame - shares the building with the famous Shakespeare and Company bookstore.

Quiet, lovely neighborhood. Very inexpensive by Paris standards.

Usually reluctant to give recommendations but confident that this one would work for you.

Richard

Posted by
127 posts

I'm a bit late to get to the party but........

Absolutely consider the Esmeralda. In a word quirky (Translation; a lot of fun) - very near Notre Dame - shares the building with the famous Shakespeare and Company bookstore.

Quiet, lovely neighborhood. Very inexpensive by Paris standards.

Usually reluctant to give recommendations but confident that this one would work for you.

Richard

Posted by
36 posts

Thank you. The Roissy bus from the airport sounds like a good idea. It stops at the Opera station, right? Is it easy to get from there to Gare Saint Lazare near the Hilton Opera hotel? I think I read somewhere that taxis won't take you because it's too short of a distance.

Posted by
17 posts

I've read that taxis must take you, it's a law. I would check maps online or in my guidebook. The smartest thing you can do at this point is get a map -- and not a 'pretty' fold-out map, but a good booklet with maps of the arr. which has bus and metro maps too. You'll be a smart visitor and it will pay for itself by saving time and confusion.

Posted by
3695 posts

It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the Opera bus stop to the Hilton so if you travel light, you may want to walk it. The train to Vernon (for Giverny) leaves from Gare St-Lazare so the Hilton is well situated for that trip. The Hilton is about 10 minutes from the Palais Garnier (right around the corner from where the Roissy bus stops) and close to les grands magasins such as Printemps and Galeries Lafayette.