Please sign in to post.

Paris Hotel

We will be flying in to CDG September next year. (yes I got an awesome price on tickets this early!) Hubby has been looking at Hotel Mercure near the Eiffel Tower. Does anyone have any experience with this hotel chain? I ask because they are all over Europe and reservations would be easy. We are leaning towards the chains because we don't currently sleep together and quaint European hotels rarely have a king size bed. We would get no rest in smaller! Wow, can't believe I left out that we will be in Europe 2 weeks. I suppose I should also add that Lyon is in the plan and Murcia Spain to see friends. Flying back to CDG to fly home. Thank you for the nudge !

Also, thank you to all that post your experiences here on these forums. I have never been out of the United States (Canada - but I lived in Detroit at the time so I don't count it) beyond a couple Caribbean cruises. Cruises are fun, but I want to see more than the port city! Your experiences and stories are helping us decide where we want to go and what we want to see.

Edited to add: length of trip

Posted by
1103 posts

How long is your trip? This will affect the kind of advice you get.

Posted by
20081 posts

Use google streetview to check out the neighborhood, modern hotels and office buildings, a far cry from the classic Paris neighborhood. Rue Cler it ain't. Could be staying in Kansas City, except, of course, for the Eiffel Tower being 2 blocks away. The Bir Hakeim Metro station is a short walk away, so that is a good thing.

If you've never been outside North America, you'll be very comfortable there. But as you explore Paris, you're bound to say, "Honey, next time lets stay in this neighborhood."

Posted by
882 posts

I have stayed at Mercure Hotel in Paris - the Montmartre near the Moulin Rouge. It was fine, large rooms, king size beds, etc.
There are so many hotels in Paris, I can't say I would stay there, again - but this chain of hotels seem to be quite similar. I'm guessing you will find them more than acceptable.

Posted by
3961 posts

We stayed at Hotel Mercure Nice Promenade des Anglais on our RS Tour several years ago. We were very pleased with the accomodation. If you are unable to find a King bed, many hotels have "Double Twin Rooms." This might be an option.

Posted by
771 posts

I have found that when hotels say they have a double room, it is either 2 twin size beds pushed together, or a king size mattress on twin foundations. You would never know it was not a king unless you looked under the bedding. If you look at pictures of the rooms, look at how the pillows fit on the bed. You can usually guess from their fit on the bed. Of course you can email or call the hotel to ask about bed size, also. I have done that. Don't limit yourself to the assumption that their doubles are the same as the US. Also, requesting 2 singles, or twins is an option. There are so many lovely non-chain hotels that it would be a shame to limit your choices.

Posted by
23267 posts

Can you sleep in a twin bed? Kings are pretty rare in Europe at a reasonable price.

Posted by
8049 posts

Unless I can get the actual dimensions of the bed and it is at least 160, preferably 180 then I book a twin room as the two of us are past the point where we are willing to sleep in a small double. Most hotels we book put two beds together as a double so it works well, but if you can't find out how big the bed is and can sleep in a single then a twin room is prudent. Our last trip to Spain we had two really small beds -- one was about 45 inches wide -- Luckily we had a queen in the apartment in Madrid because my husband was losing patience with my prioritizing the view terraces over a place to sleep.

Posted by
2544 posts

I´ve been to this hotel and can tell you it is standard, corporate style accommodations. 160cm x 200cm mattresses are effectively US queen size, if you want a king look for 180cm x 200cm.

Mercure is part of the Accor hotel chain which has locations all over the world. Accor also operates the Pullman Eiffel Tower next door to the Mercure.

Posted by
4825 posts

Don't rule out staying in the absolute center of Paris on Ile St. Louis because you think the rates will be out of sight or that they will not have the sleeping arrangements you need. Depending on their vacancies, and the season, you may find rates quite reasonable.

We've stayed at Hotel des Deux-Iles and really enjoyed the location. It's quiet with friendly and helpful front desk personnel. Very well located -- cross the river and you will be in the Marais -- cross it the other way and you'll be in The Latin Quarter. Walk to the end of the island, cross the bridge, and you'll be at Notre Dame. The Metro is near enough that getting anywhere is not a problem.

We email them and request rate and booking information and get a reply within 24 hours. We opted out of the hotel breakfast as it seemed, to us, expensive for what was offered. If you do stay on the island we know where you can get a great little breakfast for a good price.

If they can not accommodate you, a few doors away is their sister hotel named Hotel de Lutece. We would stay there based simply on our experience at Hotel des Deux-Iles.

There is another hotel on the island named Hôtel Saint-Louis en l´Isle. They have (or had) a dedicated shuttle that will pick you up at the airport . Not sure about the cost. It may be complimentary depending on the length of your stay. Now that taxis into the city from the airport charge a flat rate that may be the way to get to any hotel.

A few minutes of googling should give you an idea if staying on the island is a possibility, or if you should rule it out.

Posted by
43 posts

Thank you everyone, for the suggestions. I will be looking into other hotel accommodations and sending out emails. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that myself.

Posted by
9420 posts

Hôtel Saint-Louis en l’Isle does not have a shuttle. Wish they did.

Posted by
4825 posts

Hôtel Saint-Louis en l’Isle does not have a shuttle. Wish they did

Oh well, things do change. But with the taxis having a flat rate it shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by
3961 posts

Agree, a taxi is the way to go. Just be sure to walk to the "official taxi stand" for the flat rate!