Please sign in to post.

Paris Hotel

Going on a river cruise with an extension in Paris. Need a hotel in Latin Quarter or Marais district, reasonable and include breakfast.

Posted by
8411 posts

hotels in Paris don't 'include Paris' generally -- they charge extra and it is rarely good value. you are better off heading for bakery or cafe. WE make an exception for mornings we have a plane or train to catch just to make it easier.

Posted by
9436 posts

Most French hotels you can pay and have breakfast one day, and not the next. You pick and choose what day you want it. We do find hotel breakfasts good value. We stay in nicer hotels so the breakfast buffet is extensive and good quality, and very convenient.

JHK, a frequent poster, is the expert on Paris hotels, and maybe she’ll see this post.

Posted by
2642 posts

This year, "reasonable" will be difficult to find with the Olympics and other special events. You might receive better responses if you include your budget window in euros and when you are staying.

I rarely recommend breakfast at a hotel. There are better values at any local café.

Posted by
9436 posts

I haven’t been to a café in Paris where, for say €25, you can have All You Can Eat croissants, pain au chocolat, baguette, cold cuts, many kinds of cheese, yogurt, many kinds of cereal, eggs, coffee, tea, orange juice.
We don’t need lunch when we’ve had a hotel breakfast.

Posted by
10486 posts

The places I stay offer Susan’s array for 15€. We eat a hardy breakfast with multiple cappuccinos from the coffee machines.

Posted by
2642 posts

I, along with much of the population of France, only have a café/croissant for breakfast. After dinning the night before from 20h00 to 23h00, the last thing I want to do the following morning is stuff myself with more food.

Posted by
3856 posts

Thanks for the shout out, Susan. I was going to skip this because I don't know what reasonable means for this OP and I don't know of any places that include breakfast in the room rate unless you do one of their special "room + breakfast" deals. That being said, I suggest Hotel Excelsior Latin on Rue Cujas in the 5th. They offer a continental breakfast buffet for 10€ per person. In Le Marais, I suggest Hotel Caron on Rue Caron (free snacks) and a 10€ continental breakfast buffet. Neither of these hotels have an overwhelming breakfast but if memory serves me, they both offer eggs in the shell (soft or hard boiled).

Posted by
9436 posts

Really good suggestions JHK.

Tocard, i agree, €10-€25 for a croissant and a coffee isn’t worth it but many British, Irish, Scottish people and Americans want a big breakfast and for that, the hotel price is worth it. Add to that, the convenience of being able to go down for breakfast ahead of your travel partner, come back to your room after breakfast for the bathroom or to get all you need for the day, it’s worth it imo.

Posted by
10486 posts

Probably due to older age, we fill up on fruit, breads, cheese, ham, and multiple cappuccinos with extra espresso at breakfast and always avoid heavy meals in the evening, one main course or smaller at 20h suffices. We eat our main meal at 13h at home or traveling.
Hotel breakfasts used to be a pitcher of hot coffee, a pitcher of hot milk, one fresh, warm bakery croissant and half of a fresh banquette per person, butter and jams. It was soooo good 👍. I don't care if it was 6 francs back then. 😂

Posted by
9436 posts

I’m with you Bets, that old school French breakfast is sooo good. When i was young, it was hot chocolate instead of coffee. Real hot chocolate, lol. Baguette with sweet butter and jam is heaven.

At home I typically only eat yogurt for breakfast, then a small meal at 4:00 ish. That’s it. On vacation though, my son and travel partners load up at a hotel breakfast which gets them through the day until an early dinner.

Posted by
13 posts

I appreciate all the breakfast info. If i leave breakfast off and just ask about hotels June 8-12 near the river - mid range price $300-$400. Marais, St Germain, near Luxembourg gardens does that help?

Posted by
9436 posts

I love Hotel St Louis en l’Isle and Hotel de Lutèce, both on Ile St Louis, the little island next to the bigger island where Notre Dame is. Great hotels, in a great location, with amazing views all around you. Cross one bridge and you’re in the Marais, cross another and you’re in the Latin Quarter.

Posted by
7766 posts

Boy, mentioning the $300-$400 price range sure does help, to confirm that I can’t be of help with any recommendations. My budget is half of that.

Posted by
3856 posts

Wow, that is a good budget and higher than what I was thinking of when I read reasonable. With the new budget information, I suggest two of my favorite hotels in the Latin Quarter: Hotel Le Dames du Pantheon and Hotel Odeon Saint Germain (not technically in the Latin Quarter or Saint Germain but very well located between both). In Le Marais, I suggest Hotel les Tournelles. And now, we have an additional area, Saint Germain, and there I suggest Hotel Da Vinci where you might be able to squeak in under $400. I looked at some of my other favorites but the prices were more in the $500 per night range for this June.