Please sign in to post.

Paris Greeters

While reading thru Rick's guide to Paris in preparation for a future trip I came across mention of an outfit called Paris Greeters. Online reviews are all stellar, and the description of services on their website makes it sound quite appealing, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has had recent experience with them ... most of what I've been able to find is pre-Covid. TIA

Posted by
6299 posts

You might want to check Trip Advisors forum for reviews if nothing pops up here, but Paris Greeters is a free service and you pay via donation what you feel it is worth. What's to lose from trying it out?

Posted by
10218 posts

I’ve had tours from Paris Greeters on 4 of my 7 trips to Paris, though all pre-Covid. I was in Paris in April of this year and didn’t have time for it, but I don’t know why it would be any different unless they are having trouble finding volunteers. They are free of charge, but donations to the organization are appreciated and no tipping is allowed. I have always offered to buy my guide a drink or whatever is appropriate for the time of day, but only had one accept. Nothing to lose unless you have very limited time.

Note that you tell them your interests and they try to match you up with someone. If you don’t like what they propose you can decline and they will try again. If nothing ends up being what you’d like to do there is no obligation to accept. Just don’t book something and not show up.

Posted by
2822 posts

Thanks Andrea. It does sound like a great service and something that would appeal to us.
There may be another couple with us - are you aware of any restrictions regarding the size of a group, or is that a detail to be worked out directly with the individual guide?

Posted by
10218 posts

When you fill out the request on the website they ask for information, including how many people. The tour is just for your party. My first one, still my favorite, was of the Marais. After I asked some questions the focus was changed to reflect my particular interest and he was very knowledgeable. We were with the guide for 4 hours. A very special travel memory. The other 3 I did were good as well.

Posted by
10218 posts

I personally don’t think the number of people is important. Donate whatever you feel comfortable with. There is no requirement to donate, but the money does keep the organization going.

Posted by
1 posts

We (2of us) had a Paris Greeters “tour” yesterday in the 7th Arr. it was very free-form, delightful and interesting. A cold day for walking about, but completely worth it I can recommend Paris Greeters happily!

• Richard