Please sign in to post.

Paris/French Riviera

I'm starting to do some research into a trip where we'd get an apartment in Paris for 5 or 6 days and then take a 4 or 5 day cruise on the coast (French Riviera up to maybe Spain?). anybody have reccomendations as to what port to leave from, etc or if this would work out?

Posted by
1175 posts

Can't help you with a cruise, not sure you'd want one anyway. There is so much to enjoy just using a rental car. We took the high speed TGV from Paris to Monte Carlo and could have gotten off in Nice, or anyplace along the Riveria. You can travel along the coast in your own car, stopping where you want, unlike a cruise where you are told what to do and where to stop. Go to www.tripadvisor.com, Nice travel forum and see all the easy possibilities that you can enjoy. AutoEurope, based in Maine, is the one to book with. Never a problem with them.

Posted by
17 posts

There is a fast train from Paris to Nice takes about 5.5 Hours. I booked an apartment in Paris on Airbnb.. Have used it before in Munich and was astounded by how great it was. Accommodations as advertised. End up cheaper than a hotel and you can be right in the heart of everything depending on hur budget. I recently bokked an apartment in Paris for June and it is right in the Latin Quarter and so much less expensive than a hotel.

Posted by
11507 posts

We have done Paris for a week or two.. then headed down to Nice on the train for 4 days.. I wouldn't bother with a cruise myself.. from Nice its super easy and cheap to do many daytrips by bus or train. We took the local bus to Monaco.. for ONE EURO.. train is only a few euros more. We also have visited Cannes, and Eze, but really there are at least 4 or 5 other places you could visit ( by train or bus.. no need for car if you don't want to rent one.. avoiding the traffic which can be heavy in summer.. trains just whiz by that.. )

If training down to Nice purchase ticket as soon as they release your dates.. that's how you get the cheapest prices.. prices go up closer to date.. way up . Two summers ago we went first class on an idTGV train for 45 euros !!! Bring a picnic onboard.. food is dismal.. and not included even in first class. You can bring wine, goodies you pick up at a bakery in Paris.. some bread and salami.. its a great way to pass the time too.

Posted by
11294 posts

To find cruises, the best place is Vacations To Go's Custom Search: http://www.vacationstogo.com/custom.cfm. I'm not sure if there are cruises that start on the French Riviera (most that cover that region start in either Spain or Italy, and see France in the middle).

The main cruise ports in that area are Cannes, Villefranche, and Monaco. Some ships also go to Nice. Other ports in southern France that get cruises include St. Tropez, Toulon, and Marseille.

Posted by
41 posts

thanks so much you all, really helped with getting my head straight and going in the right direction.