Please sign in to post.

Paris day trip suggestions?

Help! I'm having trouble choosing a day trip out of Paris this summer. We already have one day planned in Reims, including two vineyard tours and tastings. But, we're looking for another day out of the city. We enjoy architecture, food, and wine more than art museums and cathedrals. We might also be interested in an excursion (like a boat ride). The goal is to get some variety during our stay in Paris. Unfortunately, an overnight trip out of Paris is not possible on this trip.

We're debating between Orléans, Chartres, Amiens, Le Mans, Troyes, Meaux, or Provins. Or possibly somewhere small and quaint, like Moret-sur-Loing or Chevreuse. Or, any other places that are easily reachable by train from Paris.

Please let me know which of these places you've visited and why you enjoyed them. Thanks for your help!!

Posted by
181 posts

Fontainebleau is easy to get to by train, and has a huge royal palace that is less heavily visited than Versailles. I didn't eat there in a restaurant but it's a reasonable-sized affluent town so should have some nice options.

Posted by
1090 posts

Robin.
How about Giverny? Beautiful gardens!

Posted by
7216 posts

Out of your list, I would eliminate Meaux, Orleans, and Chevreuse. They are less interesting overall.

Moret could be combined with Fontainebleau in a lovely, low-budget day out.
If you want a medieval feel, both Troyes & Provins fit the bill. Provins has a castle bust is a bit Disneyfied, Troyes is more of a real town.
Le Mans is stunning but requires a TGV ticket, so it is more expensive.
Haven't been to Amiens in too long, but I think it is a solid choice.
Chartres has an impressive cathedral (and 2 other noteworthy churches); the town itself is very nice too but not as beautiful as Troyes or Le Mans.

Posted by
8411 posts

Chartres is great but you really need to stay overnight to see the illuminations as the last train back to Paris is about 9:30 and in summer it is still light. There are so many great place within an hour of Paris, I would not head for more distant spots unless you have seen them.

Here are some we have done with pictures:
https://janettravels.wordpress.com/category/day-trips-from-paris/

Moret sur Loing and Crecy la Chapelle were particularly interesting small towns for day trips. In summer there is supposed to be a boat on the Loing to the Seine, but we were there in November and it was not running; I don't know if it still exists -- COVID changed so many things. But it is a nice walk and not a long walk.

We went to Meaux for the war museum but found it kind of disappointing. We also were disappointed in Provins but we were not there in summer when they are doing things like hawk exhibitions and other medieval shows.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for all of the great suggestions! One more has popped up on my radar: Nancy. How does Nancy compare to some of these other options?

Posted by
181 posts

Nancy is nice but it's further away and the train fare will be pricier (long-distance rather than local)

Posted by
890 posts

Orléans is a great city, but it's not conducive to a day trip. It's not exactly filled with tourist sites. It's more the overall vibe of the place that makes it a wonderful place to spend a few days. Relaxed walks along the Loire, nighttime light shows about Jeanne d'Arc projected onto the cathedral exterior. Just special, but not at all touristy. I love it.