Please sign in to post.

Paris City Pass vs Paris Museum Pass

I have been reading some travel books and looking at different sites. There are 2 suggestions for discounted and easy access of museums and sites in Paris.

1. The Paris City Pass is 145 euros for 5 days and includes museums, free hop on hop off bus tour, river tour, some sites like Notre Dame and Sainte Chapelle, metro and RER for areas 1-3 and some discounts at restaurants and shopping
  2. The Museum Pass is 69 euros and covers entry into 60 museums and some monuments over a 6 day period.

I will be in Paris with my niece for 6 days and am wondering if the more expensive pass is worth it or should I just stick with the museum pass only

Posted by
11507 posts

There is no question that the Paris MUSEUM pass has advantages and can be economical if you visit enough places, which is not hard to do.

The Paris Pass on other hand is basically a rip off and I would never buy it or recommend it. Its not even a pass bit a collection of vouchers and tickets, most of which you will never use the value ofi am on my tablet so hard to type out a thorough explanation, bit if you just sit down and work numbers you will see you are paying too much for the PP.

Posted by
1059 posts

I agree Pat. Do not get the Paris City Pass. The Museum Pass is a much better value.

Posted by
19963 posts

I m unaware of a Paris City Pass. There is the Paris Pass, but it comes in 2,4, or 6 day increments, not 5 day. The 6 day is 219 euro, and the 4 day is 182 euro. These are adult prices. You didn't say how old your niece is. So I think your information is wrong, but regardless, you can buy the components individually for less than the overall package.

Posted by
11507 posts

on laptop now.. easier to type..
How old is niece.. children under 18 are free at most sites and museums ( notable exception is the Eiffel Tower,, which is not included in any pass regardless)

Also.. where are you staying.. I find I can walk to many sites .. often only taking the metro once a day if that.. so a carnet works well for me. A carnet is simply 10 loose one way tickets, good for metro or bus.. sold at a discount to buying separately. Cost is about 14 euros for the ten tickets. The carnet can be shared .. so one or two carnets can easily do you a week.. depending on where you are staying of course.

Some sites are free.. ie.. the cathedral of Notre Dame is free..

The two day hoho buses can be fun.. I used L'Open Tour with my 13 yr old.. he loved it when we went around the traffic that circles the Arc De Triomphe.. but think that's about 36 euros for a two day pass. children under 11 are only 16 euros.

69 euros Museum pass,, note its for SIX days.. not five
14 carnet of tickets
36 hoho ticket for two days( remember if you buy this.. you will likely only buy one carnet ,, since most of your getting around for 2 days will be paid for..

11-13 boat cruise

130-132 euros.

even if you get a second carnet.. its still cheaper to buy separately.

All of those things are easy to buy there.. no preordering or paying for delivery.

A six day Paris Pass for an adult is 219 euros!!!!

Posted by
7175 posts

Paris Museum Pass is by far better value, especially so if you organise your time well.
www.parismuseumpass.com 2 days 42 euro / 4 days 56 euro.
Enter without queuing at 60 museums and monuments in and around Paris, including ...

Musee Cluny (museum of the middle ages)
Pantheon (dedicated to the greats of France)
Musee Delacroix (the artist’s former house + studio)
Louvre (the world’s most visited museum packed with ancient artefacts & priceless artworks)
Musee Rodin (famous bronzes in beautiful gardens)
Invalides (Napoleons tomb)
Orangerie (Monet's waterlillies)
Pompidou Centre (modern art collection – reopens 27 May 2015 after refurbishment)
St Chapelle (amazing stained glass)
Conciergerie (where Marie Antoinette imprisoned)
Tours de Notre Dame (walk up the towers to get up close and personal with the gargoyles)
Crypt Archeologique (dig site in front of Notre Dame)
Musee d'Orsay (Impressionism)
Arc de Triomphe (must see view from top)
Musee Quai Branly (artifacts from Africa, Americas, Asia, Oceania)
Les Egouts (the sewer tour)
Decorative Arts Museum (furniture)
Mode & Textile Museum (fashion)

Other sights NOT INCLUDED on Paris Museum Pass
Musee Marmottan (stunning private Monet museum)
Musee Carnavalet (FREE museum of Parisian history)
Musee Picasso (housing some of the artists iconic works)

Keep in mind museums usually close either Monday or Tuesday.
Take advantage of late closing times at the Louvre (Wed+Fri), Musee d'Orsay (Thu), Quai Branly (Thu, Fri, Sat) and Pompidou. On any 'other' days check out 'free' or 'not included' things like the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur and Montmartre. If you plan to venture further PMP also includes the chateaux at Versailles and Fontainbleau.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi,

We have been to Paris several times and twice we have purchased the Paris Pass....but not from the website. I agree they are WAY too expensive and you feel rushed to do everything instead of enjoying your time and you pay for things you can't possibly fit in.. We purchased our passes on Ebay and both times they were very inexpensive. You just need to be certain they are not validated and expire December 31, 2015. I offered a price each time that equaled (or was less then) only the museum and sight costs we were planning to see anyway. The advantage was that we did not have to wait in lines. We go in the summer and this can make a difference.