Please sign in to post.

Paris Catacombs

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t see the Paris Catacombs recommended on the BOE Guidebook. My family and I are going on the BOE 14 Day Tour this June which starts in Paris. We will be arriving a week early to England and will be in Paris the day before the tour starts. We’re planning to see the Eiffel Tower and take a cruise along the Seine the day before of the tour and see the Paris Catacombs (my sons are 22 and 17 and they think it’s interesting) the morning of the tour since we don’t meet until 3 pm. Also, I kinda want to see Roland Garros (not necessarily watch a game) since it’s the week of the French Open. Will we have enough time? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Posted by
200 posts

Sorry, I do not know of recs re Paris Catacombs in BOE guidebook but I have self-toured the site with my daughter, mid May 2018. Took us 3 attempts, beginning on a Friday morning as there was an unannounced (on their website) closure due to striking personnel. Temporary signage indicated it would be open the next day, mais non. Finally, had success on Sunday. Best advice to avoid waiting in a long line is to be prepared to queue an hour before opening (site is in 14th arrondissement) in order to purchase tickets for entry as well as the worthwhile audioguide. You choose your own pace, site can be easily walked through in 45 minutes (only a fraction of the existing catacombs walkable) or however long you care to share space with the artfully and thoughtfully placed bones of more than 6 million persons. We enjoyed the gift shop you pass through at the end, if it is not your thing or you can't spare the time, it is very easy to exit without a backwards glance. Have a great trip!

Posted by
78 posts

Thanks for the input, Theresa. I'm planning to purchase our tickets online to hopefully avoid the long line. I do love gift shops and will definitely spend time to browse around. If we spend approximately 2 hrs there, hopefully, we would have enough time to at least visit Roland Garros (though I don't know how far it is from the city proper) and be back by 3 for the start of the BOE tour.

Posted by
8101 posts

We went a few years ago when there was no line at all - now every time I am in the area I see blocks long lines to get in. I don't remember a gift shop at all so either I am unobservant (likely) or it is a newer addition since the place has become so popular. I can't believe I didn't get a coffee mug or something if it existed back when we did it. If I were doing it today I would definitely get a timed ticket -- it costs twice as much but your time is the most valuable thing on an expensive trip to Paris.
https://janettravels.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/catacombs-a-creepy-paris-stroll/

Posted by
78 posts

Thanks for the info, Janet. Very nice article on your blog. Nice pictures too. Can’t wait to see it for myself!