Please sign in to post.

Paris!

Olympics boat parade - magnifique!
Gorgeous views along the Seine and everyone seems to be enjoying it despite the rain. All sorts of cultural references - including Mona Lisa and the Minions though not together - ha ha

Posted by
662 posts

I honestly haven’t decided how I feel about it. I don’t think I would be happy if I was there because obviously you can’t see a lot of the show

I do know how I feel about the female commentator NBC has given us, but I’ll keep my opinion to myself. I’m still not sure why they picked Peyton Manning, but you can tell at least he spent a lot of time chasing down athletes asking questions, etc.

Posted by
11764 posts

The acts were quite bizarre, overdone, and disjointed.

Not argument here.

I do know how I feel about the female commentator NBC has given us, but I’ll keep my opinion to myself. I’m still not sure why they picked Peyton Manning,

Well, being in the northern edges of the US gives us access to CBC. More focus on the event and less of the commentators being the 'stars' of the show.

Posted by
10577 posts

We enjoyed it a lot. The commentators in France were never on screen, gave excellent information, and did no interviews. Zidane just arrived on screen and it continues until 11:30 here in France.

Posted by
8498 posts

Loved it -- creative, very weirdly French, and showcased the city itself perfectly. From playgrounds, to canal underground, to catacombs to parkour on the rooftops of Paris -- and the bridges -- wonderful.

Glad to see something different and they carried it off with elan in spite of the rain.

Posted by
1547 posts

Tennis is well represented: Rafa, Serena and Amele Mauresmo. Props to Carl Lewis and Nadia Comanici.

Posted by
662 posts

Well I’ve decided, for me this is a failure. Will we light the torch before the 2028 Olympics or are we just going to keep running around Paris for the entire 16 day games?

The theme is eternity. They’re certainly giving into that theme.

Posted by
2151 posts

I love your last comment Carol. Oh, I think they are going to finally light the cauldron. I really think that it is going to happen.

It is getting drawn out but most of the opening ceremonies do.

I am actually beginning to feel tired from watching. Can you imagine how some of the athletes feel.

Posted by
662 posts

I’m sorry for the athletes. They are supposed to be able to see the flame being lit. That’s what is exciting about the opening ceremony, but we made sure that no one could watch it except on the video screens because we thought that would be creative. That was this was more about being creative than making sure the athletes got the experience they deserve.

Posted by
144 posts

I loved it. (Had to mute the NBC commentators, but I always do that. Lol)

Celine Dion singing Piaf’s Hymne à l’amour - sublime.

Posted by
553 posts

I overall enjoyed it. At times, it was extraordinary. It did showcase Paris more than the athletes. But given the money the city and country spent to put on these Games, so be it.

Posted by
159 posts

Celine Dion’s performance was the highlight of the show…and I’ve never even been a huge fan of her. Outstanding.

Posted by
802 posts

Was just in Paris in April while it was still a work in progress. Could only imagine then, how spectacular the boat parade would be! Did not disappoint. Everything really was magnificent; capturing every aspect of French culture. It was a showstopper; and agree that when the NBC commentators kept quiet, it was perfection!

Can't wait until it's in my backyard; seeing the car parade on the 405 freeway in LA for #2028!

Hope we get some reports from the City of Lights from those on this forum who are in the midst of the live Olympics experience right now! Exciting!

Posted by
2151 posts

I am watching Opening Ceremony for. a second time this evening and night on NBC. I missed a lot the first time.

I also hope that some members of this forum are in Paris and will post reviews.

And I also felt that one of the big highlights, if not the biggest, was the performance of Celine Dion.

Posted by
553 posts

Earlier I did not see the last hour with Celine. I just watched it. Spectacular. Tirico is a pro. Not sure why Manning and Clarkson. Nonetheless, spectacular. Those responsible for promoting Paris and France tonight must be floating higher than the balloon over the Tuileries Garden.

Posted by
1553 posts

I’m currently in Paris for the Olympics and watched the Opening Ceremony in a cafe with lots of locals. There was applause after every sequence and when the flame was about to be lit everyone, including the wait staff, was transfixed at the screen. It was great! When I walked home to my apartment the atmosphere was still buzzing with excitement.
Some events, such as rugby and hardball, already start before the Opening Ceremony. I’ve been to 2 events already and the atmosphere was great there too. Lots of enthusiastic French families, even if France wasn’t playing. Being in a filled to capacity Stade de France for the rugby was thrilling! I’m excited for the rest of the games!

Posted by
802 posts

Dutch_traveler, you had/have the best of both worlds...watching in Paris and celebrating with others; yet getting the full picture by watching the opening on tv. There must have been so much energy, excitement and revelry surrounding you! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by
11764 posts

Asking anyone who is there,

How is getting around? Are the transportation services handling the amount of traffic?

Has police/security presence slowed movement?.

Are (random) ID checks happening? Is a copy of your passport well received?

Posted by
1553 posts

“ Asking anyone who is there,”
I’m here since Tuesday and have visited several Olympic events all over the city already. For those that don’t know, some sports such as handball and rugby started on Wednesday already.

“ How is getting around? Are the transportation services handling the amount of traffic?”
Getting around is easy. It’s extremely well organized. There is dedicated staff wearing special purple vests at every train and metro station answering questions and helping people find their way.
The transportation services are handling everything very well so far.

“Has police/security presence slowed movement?.”
No

“Are (random) ID checks happening? Is a copy of your passport well received?”
I have encountered no random or unrandom ID checks at all.

The atmosphere in the city is fantastic. Lots of sport fans out and about wearing their national colors. It’s great to be here and be part of it.