Please sign in to post.

Paris and heart of France Tour

Hi My wife and I took a RS Venice, Florence and Rome tour pre covid and enjoyed it. My question is..... do any of you early 70's age travellers recommend the Paris and the heart of France tour. Was the activity level doable...we are both as active as you can be in your '70's (swimming, walking our dog, flat bike rides, light weight training)
Thanks Fred

Posted by
102 posts

I loved that tour. Yes you can do it. You just need to be able to walk and do stairs. The stairs at Mont St-Michel are probably the biggest effort. But I climbed up to the top three times!

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi. I was in my 60s when I took this tour. I did not find it over taxing. I suppose Paris could be, though there are two free afternoons built in. Thereafter, there is bus travel most days, twice for 4-5 hours. Mont St Michel can be steep, but I am sure you can wander it at your own pace if you find it strenuous - or enjoy it from a cafe. The day visiting Normandy beaches is jam-packed, but there are stretches of short bus rides and plenty of opportunities to sit down, as I recall. Hope this helps.

Posted by
8378 posts

We've done both of those tours. I think they were similar in "strenuousness". Not a problem for you, if you're that active. Early '70s was probably the median of the demographic of our groups.

Posted by
15 posts

I am 80 years young and just returned from the Paris and Heart of France tour. I was concerned about the activity level before the tour because I did not get to do extra preparation as far as walking more each day than my usual 2+ miles and no stair prep.
I had no difficulty on the trip with the activity level. The only strenuous part was climbing the many many stone stairs on Mont St Michel and I did bring a walking stick and only used it there for balance when there wasn’t anything to hold on to since my knee replacement has left me with stiffness bending my knee.
There were other people on the tour near my age and everyone was active with all the walking etc
I have to say if all my 12 Rick Steves tours, this ranks right at the top of my favorites. Happy Travels