Hello fellow travelers!
Due to a cancelled trip this month that we were able to reschedule, my wife and I will be going to France for Christmas, flying into Paris! We'll be there from December 23-31. We've been to Paris one time before in 2019, so we're fine only staying a day or two there. We really want to focus our time on the Alsace region, exploring the quaint towns and Christmas markets. For those who have been before, I have a few questions. Any advice on any of the questions would be much appreciated!
1) Thoughts on a general itinerary? We were thinking potentially December 24-26 in Paris, and then December 26-30 in Alsace, and then back to Paris on December 30 before our flight the following morning on December 31.
2) Is Paris where we should be on Christmas day? I know most places won't have much to do, but I figured Paris would potentially have more to do, see, eat that day than other places. I don't know if that's the case though.
3) Should we rent a car? We've only done trains/buses before. I don't know how easy it is to drive and what the parking situation is like. I figured if we did we would rent one in Strasbourg or Colmar?
4) What are your favorite towns/places in the region you'd recommend? We don't have a set itinerary yet. I know we'll stop in Strasbourg and Colmar, but other than that we don't have anything set in stone. Some of the places that we've looked at are Eguisheim, Riquewihr, Bergheim, Kaysersberg, and Ribeauville. Also, I know that Basel, Switzerland and Freilburg, Germany are not far. Would they be worth visiting?
5) Would you stay in one town in the region as a base? I've read that a lot of people stay in Colmar to travel to surrounding cities. We pack light so changing locations isn't a huge deal, but I don't know what is preferable in that regard.
Thanks in advance for any advice!