Please sign in to post.

Paris Accommodations

Hello, my family will be in Paris in early January. We would like personal recommendations for wonderful places to stay, including hotels and B&Bs (seeking good locations to sights, restaurants, train stations, etc. as well as good hospitality). There is so much information on the various travel sites, but everyone on this forum has been so helpful, that I would prefer any advice from you. Thank you.

Posted by
15802 posts

twinikoff, searching the RS forum for prior recommendations is a good place to start as there are umpty of those to be found.

Put "Paris hotels" in the gray search box at the top of this page and hit "go".
When the next page comes up, choose "Travel forum" from the list on the left of the page
Then choose "1 year and newer" on the next page that comes up.

Ta-dah! Browse away!

Posted by
4684 posts

Yes, the query is a bit vague. Budget? Area of Paris? Any other preferences (eg "quaint" versus modern facilities)?

Posted by
8293 posts

Since you mention "good location" with regard to train stations, can you tell us which station or stations you will be using? As for restaurants.... well, it's Paris. Restaurants abound.

Posted by
2466 posts

You'd do better to go with AirBnB - with a 13 digit registration number.
There are all kinds of budgets - can't vouch for the hospitality, though.
How many people are in your party?

Posted by
4817 posts

Don't rule out staying in the absolute center of Paris on Ile St. Louis because you think the rates will be out of sight. Depending on their vacancies, and the season, you may find rates quite reasonable.

We've stayed at Hotel des Deux-Iles and really enjoyed the location. It's quiet with friendly and helpful front desk personnel. Very well located -- cross the river and you will be in the Marais -- cross it the other way and you'll be in The Latin Quarter. Walk to the end of the island, cross the bridge, and you'll be at Notre Dame. The Metro is near enough that getting anywhere is not a problem.

We emailed them requesting rate and booking information and got a reply within 24 hours. We opted out of the hotel breakfast as it seemed, to us, expensive for what was offered. If you do stay on the island we know where you can get a great little breakfast for a good price.

If they can not accommodate you, a few doors away is their sister hotel named Hotel de Lutece. We would stay there based simply on our experience at Hotel des Deux-Iles.

There is another hotel on the island named Hôtel Saint-Louis en l´Isle. They have (or had) a dedicated shuttle that will pick you up at the airport . Not sure about the cost. It may be complimentary depending on the length of your stay. Not that taxis into the city from the airport charge a flat rate that may be the way to get to any hotel.

A few minutes of googling should give you and idea if staying on the island is a possibility, or if you should rule it out.

Posted by
28 posts

Thank you for the incredibly helpful information regarding both the lle St. Louis/Hotel des Deux-lle and the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles-Paris. Both hotels have great reviews, and I will check on availability. To answer a few questions in this thread: there are 3 of us, including a 17-year-old. My husband and I were in Paris some 20 years ago, but this is our son's first time. I am thinking that there may have been a bit of change since then. I am hoping to pay less than $200/night. We are all foodies (and may even enjoy taking a cooking class in Paris). The areas I am most considering for hotels are the lle St. Louis and Marais neighborhoods. Again, all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Posted by
153 posts

You should start thinking in Euros when you mention your budget. I assume you are thinking in U.S. dollars, but other countries have currencies called the dollar. I should think you will have difficulty in finding a triple hotel room in the center of Paris for €170.