Please sign in to post.

Paris

Has anyone been to Paris recently? We will just be there for two nights and want to be sure that we can walk around and feel safe. I know that there are always pickpockets in the larger cities in Europe and I am okay with that. We were in Rome last year and I was nervous before we went but when we were there I was fine. We only saw one pickpocket happening right in front of us. We were aware and careful.

We usually prefer the smaller villages/cities when we visit and we will be headed south after two days in Paris. Traveling by train to Lyon.

Just want to see if anyone has had recent experience and can offer guidance. Thank you

Posted by
11314 posts

We have always felt safe in Paris. we have visited at least 6 times in the past 3 years for periods of two nights to a full week. We walk or take the Metro or a bus and have never had a problem. There is a large military security presence.

Of course, one must remain vigilant everywhere.

Posted by
595 posts

I was there just over two weeks ago. There are likely pickpockets in the crowds, of course, but I never felt threatened or unsafe. I did try to follow all the usual precautions described elsewhere on this website (carry one day's cash only, wear a cross-body bag with the bag in front of you, don't put your phone in a pants pocket, etc.).

Have a great time!

Posted by
482 posts

Based on my own experience and lots and lots of postings on this forum, you should feel safe walking around Paris. We (an older male/female couple) were there most recently in 2016 and 2017.

Posted by
6521 posts

Was there in April 2015 and felt perfectly safe. Just use common sense. Intuition should tell you if you’re someplace you may not want to be.

Posted by
5697 posts

Was in Paris in April, going back next week (beginning and end of one trip,) Frel as safe there as at home -- maybe safer.

Bu the way, loved Lyon too.

Posted by
8045 posts

We have been here for 3 weeks. Last night we took a metro from Barbes to Place d'Italie at midnight and walked several blocks to the apartment from there. Paris is a city in which I always feel safe. There is virtually no violent street crime in the city itself. Safety is just really not an issue. Pickpockets, yes, but that is not a safety issue and you avoid that by not being a walking buffet. don't have stuff in pockets and you won't be picked (or backpacks or carelessly held purses).

Terrorism is by its nature unpredictable but I feel much more vulnerable in the US for obvious reasons. There is a high degree of security awareness here; we were on a train this morning to Meaux to visit the WWI museum there. At one point 4 heavily armed police walked down the center of the train observing. You will see well armed security forces in all high traffic tourist areas.

Posted by
9420 posts

Agree completely with everything Janet said. I feel very safe in Paris. I believe Paris is far safer than anywhere in the US. After Rome, Paris will be easy.

Posted by
5581 posts

I have been alone in Paris twice when my husband flew back earlier than I, to go back to work. I also was in Paris in January of 2017 with my two 20 year old daughters. I feel safer in Paris than I do in most large U.S. cities. I have a son living in Chicago and another in St. Louis, I feel safer in Europe than either of those cities. Honestly, if something happens in Europe, it is most likely to be petty crime and not an assault. I have never seen a pickpocket incidence in Paris though I know of many in other cities. I would say be smart. When I go to Europe, I have digital and paper copies of my passport, ID and credit cards. I put my money and credit cards in a couple locations. I back up my photos on my phone and camera every night. I am enrolled in the State Department's SMART traveler program and I always provide them an itinerary, and I know where my embassy and consulate offices are located.
There is an incredible police presence in Paris. It feels unsettling at first, but you get used to it. From what I've heard from people first hand and have experienced, pick pocketing is most prevalent in Portugal, Spain, Budapest, Prague and Rome. And those are really amazing places so I have traveled to those places and will continue to do so.