Please sign in to post.

Paris 2024 working around the Olympics

Throwing around the idea of Paris next Spring, but wondering what the impact the Olympics next summer will have on the city in the months before the games in terms of construction and getting around, seeing the tourist sites and what may be temporarily closed, etc. What brought up my question are articles that the opening ceremonies and possibly some events will be on the Seine. Also security preparations and how early they start, plus strikes as construction deadlines near and workers put the screws to the employers. Has anyone visited a location 1-2 months before an Olympic games?

Posted by
2745 posts

Just based on the Olympics impact on Atlanta, you need to understand that people and officials etc. are going to start arriving a couple of weeks before the Olympics. As will , the TV, crew set ups, etc. so basically July needs to be out of the question. Also remember the after the Olympics there’s also the Paralympics those never get much attention, but they do take up a lot of hotel rooms, etc.

I would make sure I was finished with my vacation in Paris by mid June at the latest I expect it’s going to be a nightmare

Posted by
4097 posts

My thoughts were mid-May to early June at the latest to avoid the pre-crowds that you brought up. I'm more concerned about infrastructure problems, strikes, last minute construction. I know it's an answer nobody may have except for people with feet on the ground. The Calgary Olympics were different because the Winter Olympics are smaller and events spread out from Calgary to Banff, but even then there was some chaos 60-90 days in advance.

Posted by
10189 posts

We were in LA in 1984. The arts and cultural festivals start the month before the Games begin.