Please sign in to post.

Paris 2024 too torn up and crazy before Olympics?

I'd like to take my granddaughter to Paris and London June or early July 2024. Olympics are there August 2024. I'm sure it will be crowded, but my questions is whether key spots, like the Eiffel Tower, will be fenced off in preparation for Olympics. I read that the volleyball venue, for example is under the Eiffel Tower! Does anyone have any advice?

Posted by
112 posts

The Eiffel Tower has been fenced off for the last 2-3 years, so you can no longer walk underneath it freely like was once possible. It is a rather ugly and unsightly fencing job and I for one am not happy about it but apparently it was done so the terrorists can't win (like they couldn't just blow up any other random place in Paris). The fencing makes the rest of us losers.

Posted by
2300 posts

I would start the trip in Paris, preferably in June as soon as she’s out of school. Not just for Olympics prep, but for the heat. I would expect lots of preparations to be happening in Paris at that time. Unlike other cities that host the Olympics, they will be using existing sites for many venues.

Fly into Paris and out of London to make the best use of your time.

Posted by
9462 posts

Just FYI, the Games actually start in late July.

And yes, I think things will be too much of a mess all summer to make for much fun for non-Olympics visitors.

Posted by
1362 posts

You can still walk under the Eiffel Tower. You just need to go through security first, no ticket necessary for being under it.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
1329 posts

I miss being able to find a bench under the tour Eiffel without having a ticket. It was a great place to sit and people watch.

Posted by
806 posts

Alexander - there are still benches outside of security, closer to the Seine, on the right, as you're facing the ET and the Seine. I was just there 2 weeks ago and did just that.

Posted by
4026 posts

I had wondered the same thing and decided it may not be worth the effort next year. Besides events near the Eiffel Tower, some rowing competitions will be on the Seine and so I suspect that part of the river walk will be closed off for preparations, and even the Palace of Versailles is hosting some events. Here's a map. https://www.paris2024.org/en/competition-venue-concept/