Please sign in to post.

Paris 11th arrondissment? August 2015? > Bourdeaux via Loire & then riverboat / Toulouse ?

Hi Everybody,
Such a pleasure having discovered the Forums.
Have followed Rick since he published his first book.
Taken many of his tours.
Question: I shall be staying on my own in the 11th arrondissement, August 2015.
Have not done this in awhile by myself.
Therefor, have appreciated all of forums updates.
All suggestions are welcome.
eg. How do I get from CDG to the 11th ?
What is that neighborhood like?
Should I look into the free tours given by the Monuments et Historiques ? And how do I
find them? Used them many a year ago.
Thank you.

Posted by
219 posts

Hi,

We just came back from a week long stay in the 11th. The neighborhood was fine - middle class, working area. We felt very comfortable there.

The area is close to Canal St. Martin, a lovely place to walk. We took a taxi to CDG, although you could easily take the RER from Gare du Nord.

Sorry, I cannot answer your other questions.

Posted by
19654 posts

The 11th is a rather trapezoidal shaped district from Republique square at the northwest corner to Nation circle at the southeast corner. It is bisected by the No 9 Metro line between those two points. Depending on where you are at, there are several Metro lines serving the area. So take the RER B to Gare du Nord then the No 5 line to Republique, then change there to a line that gets you closest. Or take a taxi if you are feeling flush and not up to humping luggage around various Metro stations with all their stairs.
I've stayed in the 10th just to the northwest. Younger crowd as the rents a bit less than the "fashionable" districts.

Posted by
1 posts

We just returned from 10 days in the 11th .Lovely area with plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, and boulangeries.. Very lively, we had 5 bistros on our block. So a bit noisy at night. We felt very safe walking around there late in the evening. I really enjoyed staying in a less touristy area and it was an easy metro ride to the central areas. We took the Roissy bus from CDG. Bus drops you off at Opera center. We caught a taxi from there ($25 dollars - we sat in traffic). Have fun!