Please sign in to post.

Paris

I ask for advice on daytripping from Paris to Chartres, St.Dennis, Versailles & Fountainbleau.

Posted by
3703 posts

What kind of advice do you want? Days to go? Cost? How to get there, etc.?
I'll start with Basilique Saint-Denis, which is what I think you mean by Saint Dennis (as opposed to going to Saint-Denis the suburb where the basilica is located). I highly recommend a visit. To get to the basilica, take Metro Line 13, direction Saint-Denis -Université, and exit at the Basilique de Saint-Denis stop. Here is the practical information link with things like cost hours, etc. http://www.saint-denis-basilique.fr/en/Prepare-for-your-visit/PRATICAL-INFORMATION

Posted by
183 posts

Check into the navigo passé and the subway map , that should get you started ,then go online and check out the sites you want to visit and enjoy 😊.

Posted by
7873 posts

Also, you can Google each of those places; they all have official website to inform your visit.

Posted by
11507 posts

Do you mean St Denis the cathedral? It’s inside Paris and can be done in a morning or afternoon- admission is free - and you can get there by metro .

Versailles is a daytrip to me as it is huge and it really takes all day to visit all the grounds , gardens , and out buildings besides the main palace . The main palace is always very crowded with lines for both tickets and security - it is best to arrive with ticket already purchased and to get in security line BEFORE it opens !!! At least 1/2 hr before if not a bit more . Or another way to avoid long lines is to go on the Versailles official website and purchase the Kings Apartments Tour ! It’s a small group private tour and you get a timed ticket to enter and a desperate entrance ! You will go with a smaller group ( think it’s about 20 ) and tour through parts of the palace closed to the main public !

Chartres - take a train outside city to Chartres -

Posted by
3703 posts

Saint Denis is not within Paris. It’s not really a day trip from Paris, but it is not within Paris.

Posted by
11507 posts

It is in a northern suburb of Paris.. you can reach it with a regular metro ticket ( 1.70 euros ) .. so perhaps not in city limits.. its a suburb of city now..

Posted by
153 posts

Well it can't be too far out of Paris; after all, the good Saint picked up his head from where it was chopped off on Montmartre and carried it to the place where the Basilica was built. He was also preaching a sermon the whole way, we are led to believe.

Posted by
3703 posts

"Well it can't be too far out of Paris; after all, the good Saint picked up his head from where it was chopped off on Montmartre and carried it to the place where the Basilica was built." Okay, so that really happened, huh? I always thought it was a myth. LOL

Posted by
6525 posts

No, the saint really did it. Of course this was before they charged admission. ;-)

Posted by
8065 posts

There are saints all over Europe who did this very same thing. I think San Miniato did it also in Florence. St. Denis is on the metro line 13 St. Denis Basilique stop; a great afternoon trip and there is a charge for the crypt which is what you go to see. It is the burial place for the kings of France; their bodies were trashed during the revolution and may or may not be now buried in a mass grave in the crypt mingled together, the heart of the last dauphin is on display and the tombs of the kings are amazing and a must see if in Paris.

Versaille and Fontainbleau can be visited with the Navigo Decouverte and Chartres isa bit further and an easy visit by train from Paris. I believe the trains to Chartres leave from Gare Montparnasse and it costs about 15 Euro each way. Versailles is on the RER C and Fontainbleau is reached by train from Gare du Lyon and is a transillien train -- about 40 minutes or so. There is a bus at the station in Fontainbleau Avon which connects to the Chateau.

Posted by
153 posts

Well it might have been easier for St. Dennis as it is mostly downhill from Montmartre to the Basilica, and he could have simply rolled his head in the right direction like a soccer ball. After all, it is only about 6.5 kilometers, so why is that so hard to believe? :-)

Posted by
8 posts

Is Chartres covered by the Navigo Découverte pass, or is a separate ticket required?