Please sign in to post.

Paris

I have been to Paris many times and love it. This September I will be passing through (only 2 nights) and have decided to do something different. I am thinking of walking along Canal St. Martin and the the Coulee Verte (old elevated rail transformed to a garden walk.) Anyone else done these walks and have suggestions for me?

Posted by
8049 posts

We did the Coulee Verte a long time ago -- this was our walk.
https://janettravels.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/promenade-plantee-turning-discarded-public-space-into-a-pleasant-place-for-parisians/
It was very pleasant.

Much of the Canal st. Martin is underground so pick your area to stroll carefully. I'd probably pack a lunch and do the Coulee Vert in the morning and picnic for lunch. and then plan to wander around the canal in the evening and get apero or dinner along the canal at one of the many cafes. We often meet friends along the canal where the tables served by cafes are and get a charcuterie platter and drinks.

Posted by
1823 posts

Jane, thanks for sharing your blog post. I loved it. For the canal, I was thinking of taking the Metro to Republique and starting where it comes out of the tunnel, I think.

Posted by
1823 posts

Jane, unfortunately I must travel alone so I rarely leave the hotel after sunset, I am just not comfortable walking around after dark or taking public transportation. It isn't an overseas thing, I rarely go out after dark here at home.

Posted by
2745 posts

I’m currently sitting at café having a glass of wine it’s 10 p.m. well after sundown. And I got here after taking a metro from another place. I went to check out at 9 pm.
Lori I’m sorry that you’re scared because this is a magical experience. I’m watching people enjoying a glass of wine or Coke as darkness rises.

I travel solo almost every time I travel but I’m not in my hotel room after sundown. I wish I could convince you to try because I think you would like it. It is sad that women feel they have to live their life in fear.

Posted by
1823 posts

Carol, It isn't fear. I realize I am safer in Europe than living near Minneapolis. I just don't feel comfortable being solo after dark and I don't like to go to a bar or restaurant alone any time of day. When I travel I eat my main meal at lunch and then for dinner have a snack from a nearby mini mart or Coop in my hotel. I like to decompress before I go to bed and being alone, reading and relaxing works best for me. In fact, when I am on a Rick Steves' tour and there are people I could very well go to dinner with I don't usually unless it is a group dinner. I am a bit of an introvert and after being with people, I need alone time. I will remember what you suggested though and if I try it, I'll let you know.

Posted by
1137 posts

I walked a lot of the Coulée Verte (i.e., Promenade plantée René-Dumont) and loved it. it is a nice diversion from the normal city scene.

I also went to Canal Saint-Martin and was very disappointed. Just lots of trash, and decadence. My impression is some business group over-hyped this area to try to bring tourists into a place that is otherwise not deserving. I don't plan on going back, as there are plenty of better things to do and places to see in Paris.

Posted by
1823 posts

PharmerPhil, when were you at Canal St Martin? I understand there has been alot of gentrifying going on.