Please sign in to post.

Palace of Versailles

We're staying very close to the Paris Nord station but would like to know the easiest way to get to and from the Palace of Versailles from there. We'll be in Paris in September. Any suggestions??

Posted by
2843 posts

Have just been researching this for my own trip next year. If you make your way to Gare Montparnasse, there are several direct trains per hour to the Versailles Chantiers station. Takes less than 15 minutes and one-way cost less than 4 Euro.
Might be other options on the SCNF website: https://www.sncf.com/en

Posted by
37 posts

Robert, I believe the closest station to the palace is at Versailles Chateau Rive Gauche. I'll check out the web link you provided. Thanks, Connie

Posted by
3724 posts

Use RATP.fr/en or https://citymapper.com/paris for directions (sncf.com is less useful for this trip). You need to get to the RER C and take the train to the Versailles Rive Gauche stop that you mention. If you are very close to Gare du Nord (Paris Nord), take the southbound RER B Saint Michel/Notre Dame and change there for the RER C to the palace. You probably already know it but just in case you do not, I'll mention that your regular metro ticket will not work for this trip. There are other ways to go including taking the Transilien train mentioned by Robert but then you have to get from Versailles Chantier to the palace. Easiest for you, if you are near Gare du Nord, is the route that I suggest.

Posted by
37 posts

JHK, great info! I didn't know about not being able to use a regular metro ticket for this trip. We do have a Eurail Global Pass, though, will this be of any use to get to the palace?

Posted by
3724 posts

The pass will not work for this. The ticket will cost 3.55€. You can buy it at Gare du Nord. I'd buy the return ticket at the same time that I buy the ticket to Versailles. Don't forget to hold on to each ticket until you have exited the train system completely. I throw my used ticket out at the first garbage bag I come to after I have exited the station. You need the used ticket to exit the RER station and also in case you get stopped for a random ticket inspection during the trip. Sorry if I am repeating stuff you already know but in case you do not, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Posted by
37 posts

JHK, all of the information you're passing on is news to me. This is our first trip to Paris and Europe for that matter! All help and info is greatly appreciated!!!

Posted by
3724 posts

No problem. I kinda had the feeling you were new to this when you mentioned that you have a rail pass. Have a great trip!

Posted by
37 posts

JHK, Couldn't fool you, huh?? We found out that the Eurail Global Pass was our best bet for our 5 week European vacation instead of point-to-point tickets. I really appreciate the help you've given us, it certainly will make our trip much easier and more enjoyable getting to/from the palace. Thanks!