Please sign in to post.

Palace of Versailles?

We are traveling to Paris for only 4 days. I have two teenage daughters and I am not sure we will be able to fit in the Palace of Versailles. In addition to the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the incredible art museums my daughters want to have a day to walk, shop and "take it all in". Do I need to push Versailles or will they be ok without seeing it?

Posted by
693 posts

Well over 99% of the world's population will never see Versailles so of course they will be OK. Why not go with your daughters' request and let them have a day doing what they are interested in, rather than what Djp thinks they should be interested in. Take them to Galeries Lafayette, let them google shopping in Paris and decide what they might like to look at.

Posted by
4535 posts

Four days is not a lot so you may not have time to fit in Versailles. And if they are not that interested, I wouldn't torture them. But one thing to consider is to visit the gardens and maybe see the Trianons and Hamlet, but skip the long lines and overcrowded palace itself. They might enjoy the gardens and a picnic down by the Grand Canal. You can rent paddle boats on the canal and bikes to ride around the grounds. If you think that might entertain them, don't feel the least bit bad about not going through the palace.

Posted by
1265 posts

I will ask the all important question. Do your teenage daughters really want to go to Versailles ? If not then, as others have said with only 4 days in Paris skip it.

Posted by
6430 posts

Versailles isn't worth one of only four days, unless you really really want to see it a lot. In which case, you go there and let the teens walk and shop. Paris is a great walking, park-sitting, café-sitting, people-watching city. Also great shopping I've heard, though that isn't my thing.

Posted by
32171 posts

mr,

With such a short time frame, I'd suggest skipping Versailles this time. If your trip is taking place in the near future, it will be HOT AND CROWDED especially in the Chateau, and absolutely NOT a pleasant travel experience. With only a very short four days, you'll have more than enough to see in Paris (which will also be hot and crowded to some extent), and you could easily spend a whole day touring the Louvre. At this time of year, it would be prudent to plan for a more "relaxed" touring schedule so that you can enjoy what you're seeing.

Bon Voyage!

Posted by
7175 posts

For a group travelling together democracy has to prevail.
Have everyone make a list of Paris preferences, 1 thru 10.
Compile a master list by adding the scores and listing from lowest to highest.
Work on your joint plan from here.

If you are really set on Versailles then set aside a day for that and divide the 3 remaining days.
Start each day with Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Saint Chapelle, for example.
Finish each day with Louvre, Orsay, Pompidou, for example.
Let your daughters decide what you do in between each day, say 12pm-3pm.
The good news is that exploring areas like St Germain and the Marais includes alot of (passive) shopping and cafe opportunites. Sacre Coeur and Montmartre would be another early afternoon option.
The Tuileries and Luxembourg Gardens are great for time out, relaxing and recharging.

Posted by
1954 posts

What you can do to my opinion is visiting the parc first and look around 5.00 pm how long the line at the entrance is and decide on the spot if it´s worth to get inside the chateau. It closes usually during high season at 6.30 pm, (final admission 6.00 pm) the ticket office at 5.50 pm. It´s not much time, but it´s a dilemma, choosing seeing something or nothing.

Or to consider is visiting the parc the last hours before it closes at 8.30 pm. Guess most of the crowds will be gone around dinner time and depending the wheather most of the heat too.

More info: http://en.chateauversailles.fr/prepare-my-visit-/single/tickets-and-rates

Posted by
2 posts

We are just back from 10 days in France and spent one of them at Versailles. It was extremely crowded and not that great. You would be better off spending the day at another chateau (like my favorite - Chenonceau) although that is quite a drive from Paris. In any case, Versailles is a 40 minutes train ride, an extremely long lineup and way too crowded. If you skip it, you're not missing much. If you still want to go, spend the 7 euros per person for a tour and you avoid the lineups! P.S. Don't miss the Musée d'Orsay - it's the home of many impressionist Masters! We liked it better than the weird one with the pyramid in front. Ha.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks, I am thinking we are going to skip it. My girls are in their teens and will have many more years to return to France if they want to. Thanks for everyones advice, i do love all of the help I have been getting to plan our trip.

Posted by
23 posts

I have to agree with the suggestions for shopping at the Gallery d'Lafayette, especially with girls. Everything in one place and the architecture of the place is amazing! When you walk in all you see is lights and sparkle coming from the balconies and a view of the stained glass dome above it all. Skip the Champs-Elysees, go here and find all the brands in one place. We found it quite by accident near closing time, and wished we had more time to see everything. There's a Starbucks near the escalator on one of the floors. We also went to Versailles - it was pretty much an all-day deal, and unless they are really interested, all you will hear are going to be complaints from your girls!

Posted by
1954 posts

Galleries Lafayette: For the view and if weather cooperates the roof terras is a nice place for a drink.