Please sign in to post.

Overnight in Paris

We will be in Brussels around my 69th birthday in October. Given how close Paris is, we've decided to take a trip there and return to Brussels the next day to celebrate my birthday. We've previously spent a week in Paris and done a lot of the major museums - the Louvre the D'Orsay, the Orange, Rodan's museum, the Picasso museum and seen a lot of the obvious sights, Eiffel Tower, Le Chat Noir and the area around it. The Napoleon and military museum was closed when we were there so all we saw was his tomb and there's always more to see in the Louvre. We're open to suggestions for what to see and do between our arrival around 1100 on the first day and our departure around 1800 on the next day.

Posted by
77 posts

Forgot to say we'll be staying at the Hilton Paris La Defense courtesy of Hilton Honors points. Any suggestions for things to do around that area would also be welcome.

Posted by
8293 posts

From la Defense it is an easy and short bus ride to Chateau Malmaison, Empress Josephine's favourite "house". Bus No. 258 gets you there There is a bus from la Defense all the way to the Louvre. I can't remember if it is the 73 or 74. Makes for an interesting journey and you could get off at the Arc de Triomphe for a look- around.

Posted by
4684 posts

Be warned that Malmaison closes for lunch from 12:30 to 1:30.

Posted by
8293 posts

There is, however, a restaurant at the foot of the road leading up to the chateau. The food is quite good. Very near the bus stop.

Posted by
7175 posts

This is a nice walk, avoiding the crowds, and seeing some interesting secondary sights ...
Notre Dame - St Michel - Musee Cluny - Sorbonne - Pantheon - Jardin de Luxembourg - St Sulpice - Delacroix Museum - St Germain de Pres - (metro to) Invalides - Champ de Mars - Eiffel Tower

Posted by
12 posts

I hadn't been interested in seeing Les Invalids, but wound up seeing it and it was awesome. River tours down the Seine are always nice. Maybe a dinner cruise? Have you seen the Conciergerie?