Please sign in to post.

Overnight in Paris - Looking for hotel rec

See my post of 11/26. Had thought about catching TGV from Gare de Lyon to Avignon 2.5 hrs after arriving Orly at 15:00. I'm feeling a little stressed about time--could take hour later train but will be so late getting into Avignon after an overnight flight. Now considering staying in Paris for one night and then to Provence. This would be more relaxing and would allow time to get phone set up at Orange store. Any suggestions for reasonably priced lodging near Bastille with nearby Orange store.....Looking for something somewhat close to train to get an early start? Doesn't have to be in Bastille area. Thanks for any recommendations.

Posted by
32521 posts

I don't know about an Orange store but some phone stores are likely to be in the shopping centre at the Gare de Lyon.

When I stay near there for an early train (usually the 7:19 to Nice) I usually go chain - often the Holiday Inn Bastille, about 5 minutes' walk from the station, not really near Bastille, or the Mercure at the station which is right there. There is also a Novotel at the station which I have always wanted to try but have never had a decent rate at, despite the A Club Platinum status. grrrr.

Orly to Gare de Lyon including immigration and customs and baggage reclaim in 150 minutes is courageous.

Posted by
829 posts

I think your new plan makes a lot of sense. Arriving at 15:00 is pretty late to make all the connections to Provence. No reason to make your trip unnecessarily stressful.

Posted by
6431 posts

We had a good four-night stay at the Hotel Corail on Rue de Lyon, a few blocks north of Gare de Lyon. Not a fancy place but clean and comfortable enough, you'll be too tired to do much but sleep anyway. There are lots of other hotels in the neighborhood. There's an Orange store nearby at 40 Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine, closer to Bastille.

The downside of spending your first night in Paris is not waking up in Provence. The upside is enjoying the train journey much more. And, of course, less chance of missing the train if your flight is delayed.