Please sign in to post.

Overlord Tours in Normandy

We’re planning to use Overlord tours in Normandy .
I think we’ve decided on a two day tour. Just wondering how vigorous these tours are? We aren’t feeble but aren’t spring chickens either. We’re age 58 & 60, will it be hard to keep up ?
Maybe I’m worrying too much, but I hate to book the two day tour and can’t keep up enough to do the second day.. I know it’s not hiking or anything but would like opinions of those who’ve done it already.
Thanks!

Posted by
27120 posts

I don't think you'll have a problem, but I just took a one-day tour, so you'll obviously be going to a bunch of places I did not. I don't remember any long or uphill walks. I was 65 the year I took the tour; I walk a lot but am not athletic.

Posted by
271 posts

We also did the one day Overlord tour in our mid-60s and it was easy. The bus will take you to the parking lot and you're allowed to roam as far and near as you like. My husband is a history buff so I saw more bunkers than I would have liked. I'd say the area was about as hilly as a golf course. Due to the windy and rainy weather that day, we were the only ones who chose to walk along the beach, an experience I'll never forget. There were young children taking wind sailing lessons on the shore where so many young men had sacrificed their lives for the next generation of peace. You'll be fine.

Posted by
700 posts

We did the 2 day Neptune this past fall with Overlord. You won’t have any trouble keeping up. There is quite a bit of drive time, not much walking-no hiking-tons of information. We’re in our early 70’s.

Highly recommend it.

Posted by
3245 posts

One good thing about the two day tours is that you should get an actual lunch break, as opposed to having to choose between eating or sightseeing at one of your stops.

Posted by
1 posts

My husband and I, two seniors, want to fly into Paris the beginning of May, spend a day or two in a hotel and see the sights, then get on a train going to see the beaches in Normandy for four or five days staying in a B&B or hotel there. From there on the way back to Paris on the train we want to see historical sites and explore wonders getting off the train for a day or two here and there staying in a B&B or hotel different places before heading back to Paris Airport to head back to Florida USA. This should be a 12 day trip. for two old people in fair shape that speaks very, very little French.
How can I find someone to work us up an itinerary and trains and places to stay?

Posted by
464 posts

Ds43labelle….(most recent poster?) For anyone to help more you need more details. What you want to see and where. Also if it’s this May you need to book and reserve asap. Sorry I can’t help more.

Posted by
8059 posts

We did the one day tour and there is very little actual actvity -- I mean you walk to the beach then get on the bus and walk to another beach from the parking lot. We were already in our 60s when we went and it was not even slightly strenuous. You stop at various museums like the American cemetery and museum and the Airborne museum -- again very little beyond gentle strolling.

Compare this to a trip I took last fall that ended up involving bouldering in a natural area near Montpellier -- at nearly 80 THAT was strenuous -- my husband actually sat out the parts of the trip that involved the climbing since he has low vision. I could only manage the 'trail' with a firm hand assist from the guide. Overlord is lots of riding on a van or bus and gentle strolls. We did it on a Sunday which was a mistake because instead of nice cafe for lunch we ended up at a particularly awful truck stop place with abysmal food choices mostly from machines. I think most days they stop at a decent local cafe.

Posted by
27120 posts

Different Overlord tours probably hit different places at lunch time, depending on their routes. Mine took a lunch break in St-Mere-Eglise, but we were all on our own. There was a creperie for folks wanting a sit-down lunch and a bakery that sold sandwiches for those of us who wanted to spend most of our time in the Airborne Museum.