Please sign in to post.

OUIGO question

Due to a change in our plans I needed to book a train from Avignon to Paris on somewhat short notice (10 days). The “usual” TGV trains were full. The station ticket clerk suggested that I try OUIGO. When I logged on there was only one train that worked for my schedule so I jumped on it. Now, having learned a bit more about OUIGO and having reviewed the order I placed, I have a couple questions.

1. I was offered the opportunity to pay an extra 10 Euros for an “oversized” bag. Reasoning that my bags were acceptable on the TGV from Paris to Avignon a week ago, I passed. Now, based on some posts in this forum, it appears that OUIGO is rather strict on this point. My bag is a standard-sized suitcase. Don’t have precise dimensions but it’s the size of 90% percent of the bags you see at baggage claim. Might that be too large? Would it be wise to go back online and pre-pay the 10E to be on the safe side?

2. Without giving it a lot of thought I indicated that I wanted my tickets emailed to me. I have already received an email with a link to them. I now realize that I don’t have a printer here in Provence, nor am I staying in a hotel that would presumably be happy to help me out.

• Can I go online and change my mode of delivery to sending me a digital-scan ticket?
    • In the alternative does anyone have an good ideas on how I might find someone in a small Provence town that would be willing to let me forward my existing email and print the ticket for me?
  3. All this would be a lot easier if I could talk to a live human at OUIGO. I can’t for the life of me find a telephone number anywhere on their we site? Any clues on this?

4. Are there other alrernatives, besides OUIGO, that I should explore? (Assuming I can cancel the reservation I now have.)

Posted by
20090 posts

Ouigo was started as an answer to RyanAir. Book only on-line, no voice communication, strict luggage policies, no on-board services other than a toilet. All this for a rock bottom price. I'd see if you can upgrade for extra luggage. So I don't see an alternative other than a slow Flixbus or flying.

Have you checked getting it printed out at a library? I don't know how French libraries work, but it works for me in the USA. Also if there is a store Similar to an Office Depot. I've seen them in Paris, but don't know your location, other than it is in Provence. The other is to find an old fashioned internet cafe.

Posted by
3695 posts

I can't help with question 4, but the answer to question 1 is on the SNCF site. You are allowed to bring - 1 hand bag (maximum 36x27x15cm) and one 1 "carry on" (maximum 55x35x25cm, including wheels and handles) per passenger -- and they do sometimes check the sizes on the platform. That information pops up when you select your ticket to purchase it. If your luggage is too big, you can pay 20€ at the station and bring the item on the train as opposed to the 5€ it would have cost if you had done it when making the reservation.
As to question 3, I could be incorrect but I believe that Ouigo does not offer telephone service. Have you tried using the Chat function on the SNCF site: https://en.oui.sncf/en/help-en/contact
Finally, for question 2, I do not know about changing the reservation online but where are you staying in Provence? There are internet cafes/printers all over Provence but Provence is a big area with lots of small towns so knowing which one you are in is probably a requirement for making a specific suggestion.

Posted by
46 posts

I’m in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. I’ll check re libraries etc.

So with respect to luggage, my wife and I will have:

2 normal-sized suitcases as described (one each)
1 standard carry-on bag
One purse/bag (under-seat type)
One small backpack (under-seat type)

Can this work?

Posted by
16893 posts

The check-out screen describes these options, but I don't see any place where you choose one or the other, so I assume you still have both options. Check whether the version you received can be saved to or opened in their mobile app.

• My ticket is available as a bar-code n the OUI.sncf mobile app at least 4 days prior to the train departure or
  • I print my ticket prior to departure, received by e-mail at least 4 days before the train departure, it is compulsory to show proof of ID
  • My ticket cannot be printed at a station. I cannot give it away to another passenger.

Prices valid on a selection of destinations in France on some days and in some trains. The ticket is exchangeable with another OUIGO ticket only and up to 1 hour before departure of the train, with a fee of 10 euros and the possible difference in fare with the initial fare. Non refundable ticket. Luggage included in the price: one hand luggage (36x27x15cm) and one cabin luggage (55x35x25cm) without limit of weight. Any additional luggage or not respecting the dimensions will be charged 5 euros at the time of the reservation or 20 euros at the station. Online payment required with self-printed ticket or E-Ticket available as a barcode to find on the OUI.sncf application. Offer can not be combined with any other promotion in progress or reduced SNCF rate.

The cabin luggage size translates to 21.65" x 13.78" x 9.84", which fits most airline "carry-on size," like Rick's Rolling Carry-On.

Posted by
32752 posts

You probably don't have a tape measure with you but is there one in the apartment/hotel/lodging where you are? That's the only way to know if your "normal" complies with the measure box that you will run into. I suggest that you find a way to measure the bags. Then you will know.

One really different thing about travelling on that service. It will either say on your ticket or on the website - but they require you to be checked in way ahead, rather than run up to the train like everybody else. They are strict (again following the Ryanair model). I think it is 30 minutes. Please check...

Posted by
32752 posts

If you have difficulty visualising the dimensions in centimetres,

the small bag in inches is approximately 14.1 x 10 1/2 x 5.9 inches

and the large one is approx. 21 1/2 x 13 3/4 x 9 3/4 inches.

I hope that helps...

Posted by
752 posts

Regarding the printing of your ticket, I’d visit the Office de Tourisme:
Place de la Liberté 84800 Isle sur la Sorgue
04 90 38 04 78

They will either know of a cyber cafe, or more likely let you forward your email to them and print it for you. Not a normal service, so offer to pay...but in other small towns, OT’s have helped me with a page of printing. Was the person renting you lodging not willing to help?

Posted by
7839 posts

If you have a mobile device download the ap. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sncf.ouigo&hl=en_US
Or can you open the link in your email from your mobile device?

I used a standard size 22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm when I took Ouigo and that met the dimensions meaning I did not have to pay.
OUIGO did not seem so strict with dimensions; they were not checking every passenger bag
And calling them would not necessarily make things easier.

Posted by
9570 posts

All this would be a lot easier if I could talk to a live human at OUIGO. I can’t for the life of me find a telephone number anywhere on their we site? Any clues on this?

I am pretty sure that part of their business model that allows them to charge lower prices for tickets is the UNavailability of any live humans/phone assistance.

As for where you can print your tickets, the Tourism office is a good idea to try; otherwise you’ll often see non-brand cell phone shops selling phones and cases and such; these will usually have an internet connection and printer or two.

I wouldn’t imagine you can change your tickets; again, part of the low-cost model is NOT offering lots of options or making things flexible. In any event, even if they end up charging you for your suitcases, surely that cost would be less than buying completely new tickets (??).

Posted by
3695 posts

I wouldn’t call L’isle sur la Sorgue a small town. I spent much of the summer of 2014 there and I think you can find someplace there to print your ticket. You could try just stopping into one of the hotels in the center of town and asking for a favor. Maybe, explain your situation and have a drink the place. You could try calling Utile Multimedia, an internet cafe among other things, to see if they offer printing services. There is also the option mentioned above of checking with the tourist office.

Posted by
46 posts

Thanks all, I think I’m set. Going to the Tourism Officer was a good tip.