Please sign in to post.

Oradour sur Glane

How much time is reasonable to tour the town without being rushed? We're having difficulty getting there from Limoges. We arrive in Limoges by train 15 minutes after mid-day bus leaves. We are connecting in Paris and unable to take earlier train. We were planning an overnight in Limoges and going to Bordeaux after leaving there, but now thinking of skipping Limoges and renting car in Bordeaux (approx 2:30 hrs). Rental car in Limoges is not an option or could take taxi. We were only going to Limoges as connection to get to Oradour sur Glane.

1) How long is reasonable amount of time to tour?
2) If we drive there from Bordeaux, should we do an overnight in area and drive back following day to train to Toulouse. Or would it be reasonable to do a day trip from Bordeaux? I know that we would need to make that decision but based on input from travelers who have been there, it would be helpful to hear from you. Many thanks for your suggestions. Kyle

Posted by
2622 posts

I really wanted to get to Oradour sur Glane and it took me a long time to sort out a reasonable plan. Here is what I worked out and it was a fantastic plan - it went off seamlessly.

We were in Bordeaux. We took the fast train to Angouleme at 8:59am. We arrived in Angouleme at 9:34.

I had hired Monsieur Paul’s chauffeur service to meet us at the train. Their driver, Stephanie, was there with our name on a sign. https://www.monsieur-paul.fr/

Stephanie drove us to Oradour sur Glane. I had booked a two hour wait there - Stephanie waited in a nearby parking lot. We had plenty of time to tour the site in two hours.

Fee for the car service with wait time included was 200 Euros, which we split between four people, so it was really reasonable.

Stephanie then took us back to Angouleme. We ended up spending three hours there before we took a train back - it is a FABULOUS city - the architecture is crazy fun - varied and impressive.

It was a perfect travel day.

Posted by
27104 posts

In addition to the site of the destroyed town, there is a very good memorial/museum explaining what happened at Oraour-sur-Glane. I think I spent about two hours in the museum, reading everything posted in English, but I spend a lot more time than average at places like Oradour.

Because of the time I spent at the museum, I ended up with a rushed visit to the site of the town. I'd guess an hour for just the oudoor area would be OK, but I think skipping the memorial/museum would be a shame.

I don't remember what the parking arrangements are; you might need to allow extra time for the walk from the parking lot. I think I had a bit of a walk from the bus stop, but it's possible I didn't get off at the best stop.

If you Google time at Oradour-sur-Glane, you may find some useful suggestions. I bet the topic has come up on TripAdvisor.

Posted by
1972 posts

I visited Oradour last month, can't remember the exact time but it must have been between 1½ and 2 hours without the museum. There are two parkings, walking from the closest to the entrance takes about 5 minutes.

How you experience places like Oradour-sur-Glane is personal, the way I did (visiting the village only) is for me OK, the museum was not for me necessary, but as already said that is personal.

Posted by
3961 posts

We were at Oradour Sur Glane on a RS Tour. I can’t comment on transportation but we felt the museum was an important part of the experience. We were given the opportunity to take our time walking the town & reflecting. Even though it’s been 9 years, it was an experience we will never forget.

We were there on 9/5/13. On 9/4/13 French President Hollande & Germany’s Gauck paid a historic visit to Oradour. Gauck was the first German head of state to visit the site of the Nazi atrocity. They walked hand in hand with a survivor, one of only 6 who survived.
https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/oradour-sur-glane
Edited to add: https://amp.france24.com/en/20130904-germany-france-president-pays-historic-visit-french-world-war-2-massacre-site-oradour-sur-glane-nazis

Posted by
116 posts

Thanks to everyone for info! Your experiences help immensely in planning our trip there.

Posted by
14 posts

JMO, but I think a very bare minimum of 2.5 hours in the museum with the video presentation, and another 2 hours wandering the village is adequate. Bring handkerchiefs or tissues or both ... even the most hardened will have tears in their eyes multiple times during the visit.

The village is silent to respect the victims. If you have children, please mind them closely to respect the silence.