Please sign in to post.

Opera Garnier Dress Code

Our experience going to the opera in the U.S. is that dress ranges from dressy to casual. We have never felt uncomfortable (in Seattle) going to the opera dressed casually.

What is the dress code for the Opera Garnier in Paris? Would we be out of place or uncomfortable dressing casually to see an opera performance there?

Posted by
2466 posts

You can dress " business casual" - nobody will bat an eye.
But normally ballet is at the Opera Garnier.
Bastille Opera has opera.

Posted by
403 posts

Opera Garnier has both ballet and opera of course. I've been to the opera in many houses across Europe and you'll see many people dressed casually, like they were going to dinner. No one cares. Some people will be dressed more formally, but that's becoming less and less common. Dress however makes you feel comfortable. No one in Paris will bat an eye.

Posted by
331 posts

We've been to the ballet at Opera Garnier twice and just as they do in Seattle, people wore the gamut, from casual to very dressy. We dressed casually (as we do when we go to the opera, ballet or symphony in Seattle) and felt totally comfortable. My husband wears nice jeans or khakis, a collared shirt and Skechers. I wear a skirt, blouse and sweater with flats or boots.

If you can, be sure to get there early when the doors open so that you can enjoy the magnificent building interior, especially the breathtaking Marc Chagall ceiling in the theater.