Please sign in to post.

Opera Garnier

My husband and I will be in Paris for the last week of May and would like to take a guided tour of the Opera Garnier. Does anyone know where the best place to purchase tickets is and do they have to be purchased far in advance? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
1175 posts

We bought a guided tour from their website in advance and showed up early for the 1100 tour in English two weeks ago. We had been there a few years prior to this tour so we wandered around for an hour prior to the tour revisiting the stunning surroundings. WE soon discovered that the tour was going to visit all the areas we had already viewed prior to the tour. We were not allowed backstage or to any areas we had not already seen. We quietly left the tour, went across to Galleries Lafayette then on to Printemps for a great lunch. You can easily see most of Opera Garnier on your own although some tours actually get backstage if there are no performances scheduled.

Posted by
4140 posts

We visited the Palais Garnier last October and took the self guided version of the visit . While we were meandering about ,we encountered one or two instances where we were close to a " guide " imparting basic information that was otherwise readily available . I am not surprised by George's reaction , we felt the same . I am generally not a fan of guided tours ( I do my own homework ) , and only succumb to one if it is the only way to enter a site . Having said that , take the self guided version and buy the ticket when you arrive . Take your time , both on the exterior and in the sumptuous interior . If this place were edible , the calorie count would drive your blood sugar up to the stratosphere . All kidding aside , there is decent Wikipedia piece on the Palais Garnier and another on the architect , Charles Garnier . These two pieces and the wealth of information provided on the building's website should provide you with adequate information to make your visit meaningful , one last suggestion , if you visit The Musee d'Orsay , go through the main entrance and walk straight back to the rear . There you will find a wonderful cutaway model of the theatre showing all its complex internal workings as well as a model site plan of the surrounding area - fascinating ! In addition to the collection , just another reason to visit the Orsay .

Posted by
2261 posts

The model at The Musee d'Orsay is incredible, as Steven points out. We will see Opera Garnier properly in September! Great post's, all.

Posted by
6541 posts

We took the English-language tour and thought it was good. I guess we would have seen as much on our own but not learned as much about what we were seeing. As I recall we didn't have to reserve in advance, but we timed our visit to the tour's schedule, showed up and bought our tickets. The English tours are not that frequent. I couldn't find any tour timetable on the Garnier website, unfortunately.

Posted by
335 posts

If you go in the "back" door of the Opera (the opposite side from where the gorgeous pillars are), you can buy tix for tours (make sure you're getting the English tour). I like having someone to answer my questions, even tho I've also often done my own research.

Posted by
16894 posts

Looks like you're covered with all this advice. Bon voyage!