Please sign in to post.

One Day in Paris

We are travelling in September to Bayeux from London. Because we are passing through Paris we decided to spend the day. Best way to spend just one day in Paris? Of course we will not have the time to purchase any museum or entry tickets anywhere. Just wanted to wander and take in the sights. We are looking at the Big Bus - Hop on Hop Off. Looks like 3 hours of passing by 10 of the most notable sights. Any opinions? We'll catch some lunch at a café. Suggestions? Or would it be better to walk and cab some?

Thanks for the help!

Posted by
2546 posts

I would avoid the Hop on hop off, too much time is wasted waiting for passengers. Foxity has a 2-hour tour, the tickets for which may be purchased on line for 18€.

Posted by
1582 posts

Mike and Chris no need to buy hop on and hop off tickets. Take the public bus around Paris. Bus #42 or Bus 69 . Both are excellent choices. It will also be less expensive and you can ride it and get off anytime you want.

https://www.parisperfect.com/blog/2012/07/42-bus-best-sightseeing-paris/

https://www.parisperfect.com/blog/2012/09/the-69-bus-see-all-the-top-sights-in-paris/

https://www.ratp.fr/plan-bus

Café Constant – 139 Rue Saint-Dominique is along the Bus 69 route. Bus stops: Rapp-La Bourdonnais, Bosquet – Saint-Dominique.

Posted by
596 posts

I'd take a one-hour Seine cruise. Vedettes du Pont Neuf has a nice one in both French and English.

Posted by
776 posts

RJean's post about the #42 bus does not take into account the route change as of April 20, 2019.

Before deciding to use the #69, keep in mind that the bus is always very crowded and moves at a snail's pace through Paris traffic. Its long route is frequently shortened without prior warning. The chances of being able to get a window seat are minimal. One is expected to automatically give up one's seat to the aged, ( in Paris aged is 75 and over) infirm, blind, and pregnant women, among other categories. Obviously as a RATP bus there is no commentary so an awareness of the sites/sights on the route is necessary.

Posted by
8063 posts

Public buses are a terrible way to tour; many are very crowded and seats are taken up by disabled and elderly people who cannot use the metro. I am an old lady and till recently rarely got a seat on the bus and the last time I traveled on one, I ended up needing to give up my seat to someone on crutches. You can't see anything standing in the crowd.

HOHO buses are enormous time wasters and very frustrating. A two hour foxity bus tour is an option if you want to spend time driving by monuments -- much better than the slow HOHOs with their endless waiting.

What is your dream of Paris? Do that. If it is walking in interesting neighborhoods, which seems like a good idea to me, then look at some 'Paris walks' books which give routes and commentary and choose something that appeals to you. I have found that these walking guides are very helpful in exploring and this is especially true when you have limited time.

Posted by
1582 posts

@ 75020 and @Janettravels44 - If the traveler starts at the beginning of the 2 Bus routes from the links I posted on the forum then there would not be much crowd and thus the traveler can obtain a window seat. Those hop on and hop off buses are quite pricey and can also be very crowded as well. In addition, the hop on and off buses have a time limit for tourists to tour the sights along the route unlike public buses.

Posted by
2189 posts

Can you give us your time frame? Will you still be there at night when they light up the Eiffel Tower? You don’t need to actually be there, but a viewing point so you can watch it sparkle should be magical. Others will have suggestions and can probably map out your day if we know what hours you’ll be there.

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey mike and Chris
since your time is short in Paris, hop on bus is not the best for you two in my opinion. everyone has different opinions of things to do and how. here’s a few other ways to see parts of City if you’re interested. We are planning one when we’re there last week September. Look at different tours, length of tours, where they go and how much.
retro-tour.com
withlocals.com “best of Paris on unique ride”
Tuktukinparis.com
cv2paristour.com
cedricsparis.com
bus-burger.com classic style french burgers, drinks, fries and a tour around Paris.
enjoy the day without stressing and sore feet, enjoy the magic of Paris vibe. stop at cafe for glass of vino outside table.
if taking train to Bayeux, grab something for snacks and drinks at a deli or train station for the ride there. always pack a corkscrew if you drink wine. we are gonna have a picnic party on our train ride Paris to Geneva to annecy. have fun
aloha

Posted by
93 posts

I would dome some typical tourist things like check out the Eiffel Tower and walk around the river.

Paris has amazing restaurants many on the cheap. If you havent tried a proper crepe I would do so- the savory kind...

I like the first two on the following list but really you cant go wrong with most bistros - just stay away from places immediately next to tourist spots!

https://theparisshortlist.com/best-comfort-food-in-paris/

Posted by
198 posts

What she said. Or try this. One plus for this is starting at Ble Sucre -- the best madeleines and maybe the best croissants? I always end up my last day buying madeleines to bring them home......