Please sign in to post.

October in Paris

I know that September is the busiest month in Paris. What about October? It's a big convention month in many large German cities, but I found no such information for Paris. We've only been in May. All those newly planted gardens, boy I thought that it would be lovely to see them later in the season when they're all lush and full. Get some of the pears we saw espaliered in Luxembourg Gardens at the farmers markets, yum. So, comments on Paris in October please! Merci!

Donna

Posted by
8449 posts

We have been many Octobers and will be there again this year. It is usually a beautiful temperate month and uncrowded compared to September. Last year was the rainiest October in Paris history; it rained every dang day, sometimes pouring all day long. Still Paris, but disappointing. We hope it will be more usual this year. For years we traveled in May and then when we retired in October as well and they were similar in weather. But these days who knows.

Posted by
16 posts

October is a good month to visit Paris. The weather is still mild, but crowds diminish (though still present) a lot at major sights.

Posted by
3891 posts

I just spent the last 19 days of October 2023 and the first 12 days on November in Paris. I love Paris in October. It helps that I got married in October so the October trips are always anniversary trips but even without that, they would still be terrific. The weather is actually usually good temperature wise with some rain every so often but not the kind of rain that makes us change plans. I tend to need a jacket and my husband does not. The opera, ballet and concerts, etc. are in full swing so if you are into that, I feel like there are more events than there are in the summer. I found Paris to be pretty crowded this October or maybe I should say it was much more crowded that in the past Octobers. Though October is great, I'm not sure that you will be able to buy any pears from Luxembourg Gardens.

Posted by
254 posts

I was in Paris for the whole month of November 2023 and I think I can count that there was maybe three sunny days. But I was in Paris for the whole month of December 2021 and it was sunny everyday although it did rain at night. So who the heck knows!

Posted by
4085 posts

The well-tended Paris gardens and greenery operate on a civil-servant schedule and are torn down for the winter according to the calendar rather than whether the fall temperature remains temperate.
A minor disappointment.

Posted by
380 posts

I was there first week of October in 2016 and the weather was glorious, highs mid 60s to low 70s and only one day of sprinkles. In late 1990s I spent several Octobers (3rd or 4th week) in Paris and weather was awful: cold, constant rain, and once even snow. As someone said, you just never know with the weather.

Posted by
6713 posts

We've had good Paris visits in October, though the weather is iffier, and the days a little shorter, than September. It should be less crowded. One thing we discovered was that the heat in our apartment didn't come on until October 15. We could have used it earlier. This might be something to inquire about if you're going the apartment route.

Posted by
119 posts

We were in Paris October 18 & 19, 2023 and had sunny beautiful weather and it was about 75 degrees. I do know it rained the entire week after that, so we were very lucky. These days, you can throw out the past history weather charts, it is unpredictable from week to week. So just go when it works best for you. Paris is a place with plenty to do indoors at least, but it would be disappointing to not be able to do those leisurely strolls.