Please sign in to post.

Normandy tours

Hi,
I am looking for a good day tour of the Normandy beaches. My brother-in-law is an avid WWII fan and he and his family are going to Paris in April and hope to tack it on. I remember when my husband and I went years ago, we had trouble finding someone who was available. Help, please!
Thanks, Carol

Posted by
13966 posts

Will they have enough time to spend the night in Bayeux or are they going to try and do it as a day trip from Paris?

I greatly enjoyed a tour with Dale Booth several years ago. He was so knowledgeable and interesting!

Posted by
4884 posts

IMO 'good day tour' is an oxymoron when it comes to DDay tours from Paris. If that is what you mean by the Normandy beaches. If at all possible, an overnight stay in Bayeux with the arrival day spent there, and the next day spent with a guided tour like Overlord Tours or Dale Booth. Then return to Paris that evening by train.

Posted by
32212 posts

Carol,

While it can be done, a Normandy day tour from Paris is not ideal. It only allows a couple of hours to see the historic sites, and that's not nearly enough.

As your BIL is an avid WWII fan, spending at least two nights in Bayeux would be a good way to see some of the most significant sites. Which tour to take will depend to some extent on his budget. The best method would be a private guide that covers the sites that are of most interest to him, however the group tours are also good and cover the most significant sites. These are some guides you can consider....

• Overlord Tour - suggested in previous replies. They offer a good variety of tours in both half day and full day versions that cover American or Canadian & British historic sites.
  • Dale Booth - a favourite with many on this forum and I believe he also provides tours for RS.
  • Chris Emery - a very knowledgeable guide and also a military veteran.

There are many others but you should be able to arrange a tour with one of those listed above.

As expected, the private tours are a bit pricey. Whichever option you choose, booking early is a good idea.

Normandydaytours.net
You can find him on IG also. Normandydaytours
Probably the best Normandy tour I’ve taken.

Posted by
596 posts

My sons and husband are such avid fans that on our first trip to France we didn't spend any time in Paris - just changed train stations and headed on to Bayeux, where we spent five nights. We covered Utah and Omaha beaches and the surrounding area but didn't get to Gold, Juno or Sword. We scheduled the entire Three Weeks in Europe adventure around Dale Booth's availability. I finally got to see Paris five years later (and it was worth the wait).