Please sign in to post.

Normandy Region to Bastogne Belgium over to Munich Germany - September 2024

Hello!

Helping my husband with the travel piece of his big trip with his buddy. We have been to the Normandy region a couple of times - however these guys are adding in 2 more countries to their adventures. They are thinking of taking the TGV to Caen (landing i Paris from the states)possibly and then renting a car there. Two historical geeks are who I'm helping! Normandy, (Bayeux specifically where they'll stay) then on to Bastogne for a day to tour and the over to Munich, where they will stay a few days and the catch a flight home.

The questions are:
-- renting a car - can he rent one from Caen and return to Munich? They would also be traveling in Belgium arriving 17 and leaving for Germany on 19th.
--best way to find a rentals for cars - companies, etc. ?
Can they rent in Caen and return in Germany? if so, which companies should they consider?
Would they be better to rent a car in each city as needed and then take a Train or Bus?

I've travelled all over France, but not sure with the two other countries.

Appreciate the help!

Best,

Carie

Posted by
11180 posts

Renting a car in one country and returning it in another country will usually add a huge drop off fee. We were quoted a 1000€ fee to drop a car off in Spain that we had picked up in Portugal. So they need to add some public transit or do what we did, have a taxi take us across a border to pick up a different rental car in another country.
Use Auto Europe to rent cars in Europe.

Posted by
11180 posts

We were quoted a 1000€ fee to drop off a car in Spain that we had rented in Portugal. So we took a taxi across the border to pick up the new car.
Use AutoEurope for your car rentals. We have used them for over 20 years.

Posted by
255 posts

After we explore Brittany/Normandy we are dropping off our rental car in Lille, France. From there we are taking the train to Belgium.
We found that dropping it off in Lille, makes it quick and easy to get to Brussels or any other part of of Belgium without having to take the train back through Paris. It is so expensive to drop off a rental car in another county.

Posted by
20178 posts

They are thinking of taking the TGV to Caen

Sorry but only TER trains go to Caen from Paris St Lazare station. With 2 people, might worth taking a taxi from CDG rather than using the RER, which requires a connection at Gare du Nord.

They could rent the car in Caen and drop it in Strasbourg after going to Bastogne, then proceed to Munich by train. That can be done in as little as 3 1/2 hours with a connection in Stuttgart.

Or do 2 rentals, one for Caen, then train from Caen to Metz or Luxembourg and rent a car for trip to Bastogne, then train from Metz/Luxembourg to Munich.