Please sign in to post.

Normandy

We are traveling to Paris, and then my husband has work in Bayeux. We plan to take the train there, but wanted to stop in Giverny and Rouen. Are these easy spots to access by train? While he works in Bayeux, my daughter and I want to get a driver to take us to the other towns on the coast such as Deuville, Trouville and Honfleur. We also want to see Etretat. We need advice on the best town to stay in around those areas, and whether it's easy to have someone take you around to these villages? I am not comfortable driving there with being in a different country. It's our first time in France! Thank you for any tips in advance.

Posted by
27063 posts

I'm currently research my own trip to France, and I can tell you from reading the "Normandy" chapter of a guidebook last night that there are bus services along the coast that hit all the towns you mentioned. I think the trips tend to start/end in Le Havre, so you might be using a different bus line for Trouville/Deaville vs. Etretat. This website has some useful-looking information about the line running from LeHavre through Fecamp to Etretat.

Not having been to the area yet, I can't advise on the best base city, but for myself I'm thinking Honfleur or (I assume cheaper) Rouen. I haven't delved into the bus schedules yet to see how well the rail service from Rouen to Le Havre would link up with the bus schedules.

Deauville and Trouville are extremely close together. They share a train station. The guidebook left me with the impression that Trouville is a bit more family-oriented, whereas Deauville is more upper-crusty.

Posted by
266 posts

I travelled from Paris to Rouen by train; then had a short walk to my hotel for the night which was near the magnificent cathedral. It’s very easy to explore Rouen on foot from the train station. The trip from Rouen to Bayeux is about 2 – 3 hours depending on the time of day. You can get tickets for around 24 – 34 euros each way.

From Paris to Rouen is 1 - 1.5 hours and around 10 - 15 euros.

http://www.raileurope-world.com/city/bayeux

Posted by
12172 posts

You can get a direct train from Paris to Bayeux (about 1 1/2 hours), direct from Paris to Rouen (about an hour). I haven't yet been to Giverny but it seems to be on the same rail line. You may be able to stop on the way to Rouen then continue on later.

Rouen is accessible from the train station, maybe a ten block walk into the center. Bayeux is a relatively small town, so once you're there anything in town will be a short trip.

I'm not sure about getting a driver, but driving is easy and the roads are good. Big differences are toll booths and going exactly the speed limit to avoid tickets. I think there are no toll booths on the trip from Etretat, through Honfleur, to Bayeux - but that's just my recollection from last September. I could be wrong.

Posted by
4132 posts

Vernon, the stop for Giverney, is on the rail line that goes to Rouen. It is different from the line that goes from Paris to Bayeux via Caen. There is a bus from the train station to Giverney, which is not far.

It is possible to take a train from Rouen to Bayeux without returning to Paris. Think of these three rail lines as describing a triangle.

I think you will need a car, or a great deal of patience, or a driver, to see some of your other destinations.