Please sign in to post.

Normandy

Where would you recommend staying in order to have a home base for D-day beaches, Caen, Bayeau?
Thanks,
Nancy

Posted by
1142 posts

Bayeux. It is a closer and nicer home base. Caen was largely flattened during the battle for Normandy. Bayeux, is one of the larger towns that was spared the bombing.

Posted by
6533 posts

Bayeux is very close to the beaches, plus having its own attractions. Google Maps or Google Earth can show you how far and what everything looks like.

Posters here suggest Caen as an easier place to rent a car, if you're coming by train from Paris. But Bayeux is a short distance up the motorway from Caen. It's also served by rail from Paris. I'd recommend a car for visiting the beaches, and Normandy generally, unless you'll be taking one of the guided D=Day tours.

Posted by
6122 posts

Bayeux

Lovely town, amazing Tapestry. Other sights as well- cathedral, British cemetery, Reporters Memorial. I wish we had stayed just 1 more day!
We had a car while there but did a guided all day tour with Bayeux Shuttle for D Day beaches. Excellent, so much easier than DIY.

Posted by
32216 posts

I agree with the others.... Bayeux is a perfect choice. You'd need a car or whatever to get the D-Day sights, so the best option would be to take one of the excellent local tours. Overlord Tours seems to be very popular.

Posted by
32825 posts

6 miles to Arromanches or less if going closest

Posted by
1 posts

Spent 2 months in Brittany/Normandy in the Fall of 2016. Spent a number of days exploring the D-Day invasion area. Have to agree with Nigel regarding Arromanches as the place to stay if you're looking for closeness to the area. Lots of quality places to stay and good restaurants, too.