Please sign in to post.

Normandy and the Mont lodging quality, tours and length of stay: four 3 or 4 nights?

We are arranging lodging a year in advance which actually caused some miscommunications. Inquired at RS recommended LECORNU Christèle, and she responded with no availability thinking 2017 rather than 2018. Inquired at historic rather luxurious farmhouse close to the beaches, but decided too far from Bayeux where we wanted to immerse ourselves in the village and see the historic tapestries. The price at the beautiful farmhouse was similar to Churchills, and we are beginning to feel we are paying for the name, sacrificing comfort and the personal touch we could enjoy at LECORNU Christèle where she may now be able to accommodate us in 2018. Welcoming your experienced based insight on lodging in Bayeux, including the Mont: stay in Bayeux and shuttle (we wish to be there for sunset and think sunrise would be wonderful as well.
Our research around our exploration of Normandy quickly becomes dizzying. While I am confident they honor those that served and sacrificed, I am beginning to feel like an imposition, "No private tours," high costs and confusing perimeters. Communications with associated B&B results in messages about what they can't do rather than awelcome. So, we will explore on our own.
Thank you for your recommendations.

Posted by
196 posts

My wife and I stayed at Lecornu for three nights last September (we were there a year ago today, as a matter of fact). We loved the B&B, the town of Bayeux, and the Normandy coast. We stayed in the Bourbesneur suite, which is huge- a large bedroom and an enormous and very elegantly furnished sitting room. The one other room I got a peak into looked quite nice also, but did not have the extra space. Christele and Francois were very pleasant and welcoming hosts. They live in the building with their two(?) young children, and Francois runs his cider and calvados store on the ground floor. Breakfast was served in the store, before opening hours, which was very charming. Breakfast was an optional extra, and in the French style (croissants, jams, yoghurt, etc), but worth doing if you're not looking for a grand buffet. We had a rental car, and had no trouble finding free parking on the street near the B&B.
From the front door, it's a three minute walk to the cathedral, and the recommended Assiette Normand restaurant (we dined there twice, as we enjoyed it so much the first time). We didn't book a private tour of the landing beaches, as we found them prohibitively expensive for just the two of us. So we went with Overlord Tours, and opted for their British and Canadian site tour. As it turned out, we must have been the only Brits or Canadians in Bayeux that day, so we ended up having a private tour anyway! (There was a larger group gathered for the American sites tour.) The day after our tour, we drove to several of the other D-day sites, which was quite easy to do on our own.

Aside from the Bayeux tapestry, I highly recommend a visit to the D-day museum right in Bayeux. It presents a very detailed picture of the invasion. And if you're lucky enough to be in Bayeux on a Saturday, be sure to stroll through the market!

Posted by
255 posts

Thank you for this reassuring endorsement. We will visit the museum prior to going out to the monuments. Also, yes, we are there on a Saturday, so to market we will go.
At this point, out next decision is where to stay for our experience of Mont Saint Michele.
Years ago the film Mindwalk introduced us to the Abby. According to RS's recommendation to arrive after 4 and leave by 11:00AM we hope to find lodging on the island. We will be digging into the Best of France today.

Posted by
8473 posts

zagfam, note that there are only about 32 rooms on the mount, so not a lot of options. Best part of staying overnight was getting up early to catch the morning prayers of the monks and nuns at the abbey.

Posted by
255 posts

As I read about the Mont St Michele experience I am beginning to think Sunday is not the best day to arrive and stay because we would miss the "music and mood lighting" an aspect of the experience we would cherish.
Our itinerary brings us there the Sunday after 3 night stay in Bayeux mid September 2018.
Comments?!?