Please sign in to post.

Normandy

Relying on public transport to get to Normandy from London— what is your advice?

Posted by
5053 posts

Eurostar to Paris. Taxi or Metro to Gare St Lazare. Train to Bayeux.

Posted by
2391 posts

That is exactly what we did and at train station in Bayeau there were two taxis waiting. Be sure you get in a licensed cab in Paris. Outside the train station in Paris there was the official taxi line and then there were super aggressive men trying to get us to use their cabs going so far as to trying to grab my elbow to get us out of the official line to use their cab. Prices for the unlicensed cabs I had read were excessive. I had read in Rick Steve's travel book how aggressive those men could be but you have to experience it to totally understand. Buy train tickets.well.in advance for best prices. The total journey really was fast and easy except for that part.

Posted by
512 posts

Take the Eurostar from London to Gare du Nord station in Paris, take the Metro or a taxi to Gare St. Lazare -- the best train station in the city -- and then a train out to Bayeaux. A regular train takes about three hours. Once there, walk to your hotel as Bayeaux is relatively compact.

If you wish to see the D-Day sites -- as I did in 2012 when I visited -- there is a car rental agency near the Bayeaux train station. You can't miss it.

Posted by
2391 posts

Highly recommend Villa Aggarthi bed and breakfast only a block and half from the tapestry. Very good and wonderful breakfast. Fresh eggs from owners back yard!! Just lovely place and very comfortable beds. Enjoy.

Posted by
1163 posts

If you are going to Bayeux and want to see sights in the area (including D-day sites), you should definitely get a car once there. That area is not at all served by public transportation.

Posted by
9795 posts

Or, alternatively, don't rent a car, and instead reserve spots on a tour with Overlord or one of the other highly recommended specialized D Day tour companies that run tours out of Bayeux (note correct spelling for searching for trains).

For best prices, reserve the Eurostar as far ahead as you know your plans.

Posted by
579 posts

Petit Matin B&B. Good location, comfy rooms, excellent breakfast and gracious helpful hosts.