Please sign in to post.

Normandy

Big History buff, planning on a bike trip in Catalonia, then on to Paris, for a couple of days and then on to Normandy, with Normandy the bucket list item. Rent a car in Caen? after train from Paris?, or rent a car at the airport. Recommended accommodations and restaurants. Favorite D-Day sites, would be appreciated. Have traveled with Rick Steve's recommendations when traveling in Europe.

Posted by
10544 posts

Are you flying into Paris? If yes, there’s no reason to not get the car at the airport and drive yourself. You can avoid driving in Paris. We have stayed in Bayeux twice and find it is a good base, especially if you want to take an organized tour. We took an Overlord tour in 2022 and were very impressed with them. I wouldn’t hesitate to book another tour with them again. It is very easy to drive in the area. If you are interested in Mont Saint Michel you can take a day trip to there from the Churchill Hotel in Bayeux. That way you can avoid driving there, unless you want to of course. If you go to the American Cemetery try to be there in the late afternoon to experience something you will never forget.

Posted by
286 posts

This was some time ago but we arrived at CDG from London and there was a train going straight to Caen, which we took having made no plans other than to go to France. Perhaps now you have to take the RER to Paris and then change. Anyhoo, we rented a car in Caen and went all over Normandy: many beach towns, Honfleur and Mont St. Michel which was magical in the evening. The car made everything accessible. I didn't drive that time. Not sure why not.

This was before the Juno Beach Centre was built and there was a Canadian desk at the Caen Museum. We managed to meet a Canadian university student who had a day off and she came with us one day as our tour guide to Juno Beach and the Canadian Cemetery. She was very sweet and had note cards of the things she. Wanted to tell us. We had a lovely meal at a seafood restaurant, saw the cliffs, the big holes on the ground and the gun placements.

Posted by
137 posts

If you're flying from Barcelona to Paris, you'll be on European time, so rent a car at the airport and drive to Bayeux. Most towns in Normandy were bombed by the Allies before the invasion, but Bayeux was spared. Stay in Bayeux and explore the D-Day sites. "Favorite" D-Day sites are difficult to quantify. The RS chapter does a fine job of ranking them. I appreciated Arromanche, the battery at Longues-sur-Mer, Omaha, Ste. Mere Eligse, and Utah, but your tastes may differ.

Posted by
14549 posts

If you have the chance before you travel watch the classic movie, The Longest Day. Even if you have seen it before, watch it again!

Since you’ll have a car, consider Pegasus Bridge. It’s depicted in the film and when you get there it’s hard to believe how close they landed those gliders. There are pylons where they each came to rest. Have a beer or coffee at Cafe Gondree which advertises itself as being the first family liberated on DDay…at 12:15A or something. I’m sometimes fanciful but Id swear I heard Lord Lovat’s piper, Bill Millan leading the relief column when I was standing on the bridge.

I also toured the small church at Angoville-au-Plain where US Army medics set up an aide station and wound up treating wounded Americans and Germans through the day. Very powerful story of people doing good in the midst of battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angoville-au-Plain

Posted by
912 posts

My suggestion is to take the train to Caen, and rent your car there. Be sure the check your dates carefully, as the agencies may be closed on Sunday, and when we were there they closed for about an hour around lunchtime. I would recommend staying in Bayeaux, but can not suggest an accommodation, because the B&B we enjoyed is no longer in business. Our half-day private tour with Sylvan Kast was terrific, One of our most poignant memories was being at the American Cemetery in the late afternoon, when they lower the flag and play "Taps". Another vote too, for the Pegasus Bridge.

Posted by
159 posts

We are in France now and just completed a few days in Normandy. We rented a car at the airport (CDG) and drove to Normandy (with a stop to visit Giverny along the way). Having a car to explore the Normandy region is something I would recommend. I would just caution to make sure you do not end up as we did with a 100% electric vehicle. Not a plethora of charging stations in this area of the country.

We visited the American cemetery & Omaha Beach and the museum there along with Utah Beach. There is no shortage of museums related to WWII in this region so Rick's guidebook is very handy for helping you narrow down the best of the best so you can use your time wisely. I would stick to his suggestions.

Posted by
176 posts

Il would second the rec ommendations to stay in Bayeux. Lovely town, with a nice cathedral, the Norman invasion tapestry, plenty of good restaurants (cannot remember names) and a nice farmer's market in town. We took a tour of the Normandy invasion beaches starting at the hotel Churchill, but do not remember the name of the tour company. Peter

Posted by
71 posts

I am planning to be in Bayeux in September as well. will be driving from Paris CDG. Regular gas car. I just learned that museum with the tapestry will be closed in September. Too bad. "VISITORS INFORMATION: The Bayeux Tapestry Museum will close its doors to the public, for renovation work, from September 2025. Reopening planned for spring 2027. Thank you for your understanding."
https://www.bayeuxmuseum.com/en/the-bayeux-tapestry/

Posted by
5142 posts

One of the less visited D-Day sites is Arromanche. It is one place where an artificial harbor was built using structures called "Mulberries" that were towed over from England. Some of them are still vislble and can be walked to at low tide. There is an interesting D-Day museum in the town, and the town itself is quite charming. Something you might want to check our.

Posted by
1129 posts

For Eugene D. The Tapestry Museum will be open Sept. of this year. It won't close until next year, 2025, so you should be able to go there.

Posted by
1208 posts

One of the less visited D-Day sites is Arromanche.

I agree with his poster's comments about Arromanches, except for this phrase. It is heavily visited and a very busy, but nice, little seaside town. Seeing the remains of the Mulberry harbor can be done on the beach, and also on the bluff above town that houses the Arromanches 360° Museum—which I highly recommend.

Posted by
1 posts

Headed to Normandy in late September. Looks like I'm renting a car in Caen. Has anyone stayed in Sainte Mere Eglise? I'm fascinated by the paratroop drop there, would like to experience that town and the museum and use that as a base to Omaha and La Pointe du Hoc. Anyone have any thoughts on this plan?

Posted by
1208 posts

Has anyone stayed in Sainte Mere Eglise?

Yes, I always stay there (8 times so far, including earlier this month on the 80th anniversary). Sainte-Mère-Église is a wonderful town that celebrates the American paratrooper and was the epicenter or American Airborne operations on D-day. There are only a few places to have a sit-down meal in town, but it is an easy drive to many sites you would want to see. There are more eating and lodging options in Bayeux, but the vibe in Sainte-Mère can't be beat. PM me for recommendations in the area if you want.