Please sign in to post.

Normandy

Greetings,
I plan to travel to Normandy in October for 2 days. I am looking for suggestions on where to stay and a guide or Tour. Going to the beaches, WWll museum and cemetery. (If possible to get them all in) Also, will be taking the train in from Paris and I am not planning on renting a car. Where to stay? Hotel, B&B or VRBO? Looking for recommendations.

Posted by
27104 posts

Unless you are looking for something unusual, there is no need to reinvent the wheel where the D-Day sites are concerned. There are several companies offering small-group van tours, most of them run out of Bayeux (best place to stay for the tours if you have no car). I was very happy with my Overlord Tour last year, but there are other options. Overlord has at least one 2-day tour, but most are a single day.

It's easy to travel from Paris to Bayeux by train. If the tour leaves you wanting more, Bayeux has a good WW II museum, and Caen (short train ride) has the huge Peace Museum. The Caen museum requires a city bus or taxi ride from the center of town.

Normandy has many other points of interest, aside from the D-Day-related sites.

Posted by
6788 posts

As pointed out above, there's lots more in Normandy than the WWII sites. It's a beautiful region with many charms, it would be a shame to skip them. Mont St Michel is just one obvious example.

Posted by
1540 posts

Another vote for staying in Bayeux and taking a full day tour with Overlord Tours.
(we actually booked through viator.com.......but the tour was lead by Overlord.) It was fantastic and the guide added so much to the tour by telling us all the history, taking us to the small towns with significant events, we were at the American Cemetery at 4:00pm when they lower the flag..............very moving moment.
Happy Travels.
PS if you have an extra day you can also book with the same tour guide/company to Mont St. Michel

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you. Your comments are appreciated.

Posted by
873 posts

Stayed in Bayeux at Hotel Churchill and used Overlord for the one day American WW2 tour....it was great. You can get up at the hotel, have their wonderful breakfast buffet and the Overlord Tour Van will pick you up a very short walk out the back door from the hotel. We loved the tapestry in Bayeux as well as the cathedral there......and had time to see 3 cemeteries. We loved the American one at Omaha beach but also enjoyed seeing the British one in Bayeux.
I would agree that if you are that close to Mont St Michel you should see it too......we did and crosssed something off our bucket list....it’s a beautiful drive to it and seeing it as it rises out of the water is a site to behold!

Posted by
595 posts

In April 2013 I stayed at the Hotel Reine Mathilde in Bayeux, took the 2-day Dale Booth tour of American sites (he also has a one-day tour). Spent another day seeing the Bayeux tapestry, cathedral, and a walk around the town. Like you, we trained in and out. I suggest you read the itineraries on the Overlord and Dale Booth websites and see what length tour matches your level of interest.

Posted by
11 posts

We are going in 2 weeks as a family of 4. Our 2 day plan:

Day 1
Leave Paris by train at 8:45am for Caen
Pick-up Hertz Rental car around 11am in Caen
Lunch/Bayeux Tapestry/Check-in @ Hotel Tardif in Bayeux
Drive to Mont St. Michel arriving around 4-5pm to miss the crowds
Late Dinner in Bayeux

Day 2
Breakfast in Hotel
All Day Tour with Chris from http://www.visitdday.com/
Dinner at https://www.larapiere.net/

Day 3
Drive all the way back to Paris to return car since it is a strike day. Otherwise could return in Caen and train back to Paris

Hope this helps

Posted by
32201 posts

Denise,

I agree with the others that Bayeux is the best location to use for a "home base" when touring Normandy. It's a beautiful smaller city with nice hotels and restaurants, a WW-II Museum and of course the famous Tapestry which describes a much earlier battle.

Overlord Tour is probably the best option, as they offer shared van tours, with both half and full day versions. Bayeux is one of their pickup locations. I would highly recommend pre-booking the tour well in advance to ensure that you get a seat.

If you have a Library or large bookstore available, try to find the RS France guidebook, as there are good suggestions for accommodations in the books. As a solo traveller, I always like to stay in hotels as they provide breakfast and it's nice to have the front desk staff available to answer questions, provide restaurant recommendations, etc.

Posted by
782 posts

I wholehartedly agree with Jane and we also went to the German Cemetary at La Cambre and it was an eye opener,some of the buried were only 14 years old.
Mike

Posted by
873 posts

Yes Mike.......we saw a German and the American and the British cemeteries and the comparison of the 3 while touring Normandy was an eye-opener. Since this trip 2 years ago I cannot get enough info on WW2 to read....fascinates me. Anyone going back next year in June for the 75th anniversary?

Posted by
2945 posts

Jane our school is taking a group next year, although I suspect it could be super crowded. This Friday I'm taking a day trip to Normandy with city wonders from Paris.

Big Mike!

Posted by
467 posts

Another option we stayed at the Amazing and lovely Chateau de Beaulieu. Lieutenant Colonel Eddie Parks from the Royal Marines and his extremely talented wife who is an expert on all things medieval and also retired from the British Civil Service will treat you like house guests feeding and entertaining you while showing you the Normandy sites.

CdB tours is their site. They also do day tours and will pick you up from the train station. My teen daughter is trying to figure out a way to work for them some summer. They were so fun and so knowledgeable. If you like a bit of English humor & tea in the French countryside while having an in depth tour of the area I would take a look at them.

Posted by
5581 posts

We stayed in Arromanches and loved the charming town and felt it was well located for seeing the Normandy sights. We stayed at a modest inn with a fantastic restaurant and lovely hosts, Hotel le Mulberry. https://www.lemulberry.fr/ However, I'm not sure about train connections. We rented a car for Normandy.

Posted by
255 posts

My research found less than user friendly sites for Normandy WWII tours, with uncertainty regarding costs. The required signing up such that, depending on the how many others signed up, you could be responsible for $100 or up to perhaps $600 fee for the tour. That uncertainty is beyond our retired educators travel funds, so I gave up many months ago.
Yet, I continue to hear and read that a good tour deepens the experience far beyond exploring the sights on your own.
We will be traveling mid September by rental car from Hanfleur to Bayeux for 2 nights stay. From there to Arromanches for 2 more nights followed by a night on the Mont San Michelle before we drive on to Brittany.
I look forward to reading refined guidance for a half or full day tour which we could have time for on our full day in Bayeux. Thank you for the details you have to offer.

Posted by
27104 posts

I was happy with my Overlord Tour. I think it was €95 last July. Overlord offers a variety of public tours via small van. There's a fixed price. It sounds as if you've ended up on websites for private tours.

I recommend a one-day tour, rather than a half-day tour. Overlord offers at least three or four; descriptions are on its website.

Posted by
255 posts

I think you are right about the private tour website debacle. They probably offer a unique opportunity, but it became a roadblock for me. This may offer understanding of options for others. I checked Overlord’s site and found it used friendly, respectful of its purpose and value and inviting. Now in will await their reply with guidance and recommendations. It appears that the tour option that aligns with our hopes will be around €100, well worth the investment and affordable for us. It’s a priority on our pilgrimage to honor our family’s ties to Europe, especially our father’s military service during WWII.
Thand you to all for your sincere appreciation for those contributing to deeper understanding of service and sacrifice. Today is D-Day.