Please sign in to post.

Normandy

Will be in Paris for 7 days. Want to see Normandy Beaches. Seems like getting there then getting around the beaches and related sites is bit complex. Train from Paris then getting around to the beaches seems like best by car since I dont see where there is a bus? If get a car must get from train to car rental. Then there are the one day tours from Paris--but not sure that is enough time. Can you tell I am confused? LOL. Advice please. Thank you.

Posted by
7258 posts

Hi,

A one-day tour including bus transportation from Paris is not the way to go, that's for sure.
Overlord tours (and possibly others) do 1-day tours that pick up at Bayeux train station (direct train from Paris, 2.5 hrs): this is a slightly better option. I have no affiliation with them.
Or, you could decide to spend a night or two in Bayeux and explore at a more leisurely pace either with tours (recommended - otherwise you just see beaches) or on your own with a car (rented in Rouen). It might also be possible to hire a private guide, but I do not know much about this option.

Posted by
1205 posts

I always advise people going to Normandy to get a car. Even if you get a tour, you will likely want to go back to places you were only allowed a few minutes in. And no, there is no usable public transportation between D-day sites. As for visiting the sites associated with the Battle of Normandy, there is much more to see than just the beaches. Do a little research ahead of time to understand the basics of the battle and the lay of the land (this will help you immensely whether you get an organized tour or not). As for renting a car, I highly recommend taking a train from Paris (Gare Saint-Lazare) to Caen, and renting a car from there. There are several different companies with offices a very short walk from the train platform. When setting your schedule, be aware that many rental offices are closed for long lunches and usually all day on Sunday (although most have a key drop off).

Posted by
12313 posts

For Normandie, I started with a train to Rouen, then rented a car within walking distance of the station. While you can probably get anywhere you want to go by bus eventually, with limited time, you want a car, so you don't have to rely on long connections at bus stations.

I find Rick's suggested Itineraries are built around public transport. If you stick with those, you can probably live without a car. If you want to see more, a car is going to make things much more time efficient. Vacation time is valuable.

Posted by
2478 posts

On our first visit to Paris, we wanted to go to Normandy for just a day. With limited time, we checked with our hotel and they had a driver who liked to take people there so they arranged that. He picked us up and dropped use back at our hotel, and we had a very full day. It was so worth it! Yes, it is not cheap, but you have everything taken care of and no wasted time. We enjoyed him so much that we had him take us to CDG the next day as well. This was about 20 years ago, so I can't give a specific name recommendation anymore or current price, but check with your hotel and see what they suggest.

Posted by
4 posts

Took train from Paris to Bayeux and then did the overlord tour to Normandy. Spent 2 nights in Bayeux exploring the town- recommend the Bayeux Tapestry if you have time. But if you rent a car in Bayeux you will have the opportunity to see more of Normandy- it’s wonderful.

Posted by
1124 posts

meme1324,
As others have said, best to spend a night in Bayeux, so you would have to plan on losing two of your Paris days. The one-day trips from Paris are travel heavy, with not a lot of time for the DDay tour, but they exist because that is what many people wish to do or do not have other options.

Best of luck in your decision!