Please sign in to post.

Normandy

Hello, I'll be in Paris from 10/12/-18/2018 and would like to visit the Normandy Beaches. However, the tours I have seen online are $200 per person. Are there buses that run there from Paris ? Maybe I could book a day tour when I arrive. Any help is appreciated....

Posted by
1658 posts

You will need to take a train to Bayeux for this operator. http://www.bayeuxshuttle.com/ I used them this summer and they were excellent. About 120.00 US. You should book in advance and keep in mind Bayeux is about a 2 hour train ride from Paris.

Posted by
1134 posts

If you do not take a tour, you will need a car. Normandy is huge (the d-day beaches themselves are 60 miles apart as the crow flies), and there is very little public transportation.

Posted by
27057 posts

I believe the full-day Overlord Tour I took in the summer of 2017 cost either 95 or 100 euros. It's best to take the train from Paris to Bayeux the day before the tour. Ideally, you'd spend at least two nights in Normandy so you could do some additional sightseeing, but in a pinch you could probably return to Paris late on the day of the tour and spend just one night in Bayeux. On weekdays there's a 6:35 PM departure that you might not make (you'd have to retrieve your luggage from somewhere), then an 8 PM train.

I don't think day-trips from Paris are a particularly good way to do a D-Day tour. They mean traveling by bus, which is somewhat slower than a train, and that cuts into the time you can spend seeing the invasion sites. Most if not all of the tours run out of Bayeux are small-van groups, which don't waste as much time unloading and reloading at each stop.